Ol' Blue (Ross 20" musclebike/middleweight/BMX?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This bike has been through a few incarnations with me, and it's still changing...

I originally found it at Goodwill like this:

mdlwt01.jpg

My purpose for buying it was to use the frame make it a faux musclebike. I bought a 16" Columbia convertible and used the convertible "tank" to get this:
jr16piece.JPG

jr16toptube03.jpg

Then I used the parts off a girls' musclebike to get this:

PICT0046.JPG

That was cool for a while, but then I decided to put the other girls' bike back together. I needed to get something back on this bike, and it's too small to ride as a 20" middle weight. So I got a set of bars off a yard sale girls Huffy BMX, and the stem and grips off an 18" Kent BMX that I found at a flea market. Both were 5 bucks. (The rims off the Huffy will show up in another thread.) I still needed a seatpost, as this one was waaaay short. This frame takes the tiny 20.7 mm one and I didn't have one around, so before resorting to the Net, I hit my LBS. Not only did he come through with a used seatpost in the right diameter and XL length, but he provided me with the basis for my NEXT beater (also in that other thread). Anyway, this is what I have now:

olblue02.jpg

olblue03.jpg

It kinda reminds me of pics I've seen of the first BMX bikes converted from Stingrays. I'm thinking about digging out the front fender to put on the back, like I've seen on this forum, and I definitely see some fat whitewalls in this bike's immediate future...

I was also thinking about mounting a milk crate as a cargo box behind the seat, kinda like a 2-wheel pickup truck. I delivered papers on a bike like that for years... mounted the milk crate using 2 old sissy bars, one in the normal position. the other horizontal and looped around the seatpost...

--rick

white stripe tires and a Schwinn springer seat...

white stripe tires and a Schwinn springer seat seem to make a BIG difference on this old puppy. I really need to adapt some shorty fenders...

olblue04.jpg

olblue05.jpg

olblue06.jpg

olblue07.jpg

--rick

Back