OLD CRANK TROUBLE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just got an old Cleveland Welding bike, and it has a skiptooth.. as i went to put the pedals on i noticed they dont have threads... and the crank arms look like this:
DSCN5765.jpg

my dad says they used to ram the pedals in with a lead or tin sleeve, then run a pin through it. is there any way to convert the pedals i have or reattach them? or do i have to get another crank and pedals?

Why don't you ram the pedal in with a lead or tin sleeve then run the pin through it? :wink: Grind off the threads if you have to on an old junk pedal and try it. Replacing the crank isn't that hard either. That crank would be great if you had 2 left hand pedals. B607

What dosent have threads,the crank or the pedals?

The left pedal is left hand thread...the right is right.

What ever is stripped,its probably easier to replace it.

Is it 2 pins per pedal that fit in a groove like a keyway ? or is it supposed to be like a cotter pin going throught the axle shaft ?

i would od that B607, but i want the removal of the crank to be easier. and the pedals are in great condition. i think im just gonna replace the crank. and pedals. i think they were to pins like a keyway.. idk tho.. the inside of the holes for the pedals are destroyed. and i dont want to weld them on. lol. ill never get em off!

You're probably better off with a new crank. Save that old one though. Someone will need it someday. 8) B607

went and got a free one from my LBS today. i like free. and im definitly gonna save the old crank and pedals. :D

:lol: :lol: yeah the guy has this big ole collection of bike parts in the back, and a VERY large collection of all these bikes hangin all around. its STUNNING. and he just likes to give me parts. i got two sets of motorcycle forks, a set of motorcycle wheels, two cranks,a hub, and a sprocket all for free. i think there was more, but im not too sure. not all at the same time tho. :D and the parts he gives me arent always in the best condition, but definitly salvagable.

Back