Old Indian Chief

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I was going to build a different bike but I noticed the build off and it got me thinking so I decided to switch gears and do something different with the parts I have laying around. I came up with the name because I am 1/2 Native American and I enjoy that half of my heritage. I am going to use an old flightliner frame. I cleaned this up one day and painted it with a textured paint in a graphite color. For this project though I am going to paint it flat black. I am going to use some forks off an occ chopper bike but they are a little too short. I am going to cut the tube and weld a spacer in to make them long enough. I had this idea for a tank I have been wanting to do for awhile now so I think I am going to try that. I will start posting info and pictures as the progress comes along. Here are a few pictures I took today. This should be fun.
Still11-1.jpg

Still10-1.jpg

Still9-1.jpg

You rake them UP....I rake them DOWN...A "great" frame looks cool either way. Nice choice! I really like the way it sits.

Yeah, it's funny. I was just looking at yours not two seconds ago thinking to myself that it looks super cool raked down like you did yours. I really like these frames.

yup, I will be rollin on twenties. I thought they would make the bike sit the way I wanted and I like the red rims for this one too, plus I had them laying around so they are free.

I am off of work on Mondays and the rain held out awhile so I got busy today! I do not weld but I need to learn. I took a couple of things over to my uncle's in order for him to help me out with the welds. First thing we grinded the chrome off the head tube of my forks. Then cut them and welded a piece of tube to make them 3/4" longer. We stuck a socket in the tube and that way it held it in place while we tacked it and then popped the socket out and he welded the forks up and we grinded them down smoother so they wouldn't rub the head tube or something. I got longer bolts for the trees and used some washers to make up the space in between the top plate and the top of the trees. No one would ever know unless I showed them. Here's the finished welded forks.
Still18.jpg

Here is the occ bike I picked up at a yard sale for like 10-15 bucks, I forget. I am using the forks, wheels and the stem off of it.
tn_DSCN0746.jpg

I picked up an old tomos moped. It's my first moped I have ever owned...and it needs to be ratted out. I took it apart and since I am putting an engine kit on it and some other random stuff to make it do 60mph instead of the factory boring 30mph I have to weld a top tube on the frame so we took care of that today too. Every tutorial I saw for a top tube on these things everyone used round bar so i had to be different and use square tubing. Looks cooler anyway.
Still999.jpg

I came back home and wanted to get some painting done. For the moped I used spray on truck bed liner and it is some messy nasty crap! The first can was really sputtering and made a mess and the second can was really nice and smooth. It kind of made the frame look like it was on fire and some point in time so it's pretty ratty. It's kind of cool looking though so no big deal. I then put a few coats of BBQ grill paint. I was looking for something cool to use and saw this paint so i decided it will do good for the moped and I can use it to recoat the bike frame as well. Here is the moped frame, the swing arm and some headlight bezel I picked up that actually mount the speedometer inside the top of it. Kind of cool looking.
Still1100.jpg

Still12.jpg

Still1121.jpg

So then I moved onto the bike frame. No truck liner, just BBQ grill paint.
Still13.jpg

Still15.jpg

pedals and hand grips before
Still16.jpg

pedals after
Still24.jpg

grips after
Still25.jpg

Here's the stem off the occ bike
Still20.jpg

Here's some ape hangers I'm gonna use
Still19.jpg

I put some of the bike together and threw on the crank set as well. I had to do a lot of cleaning to most of these parts because I had some rust and dirt, especially the cranks and the handlebars. I got that all finished up and here's what I have done so far.
Still22.jpg

I cleaned up and I am calling it a day. It's been a pretty productive day. I have decide what to do for a seat, I have a fake headlight off the occ bike I want to turn into a real headlight. I need some kind of tail light looking thing. I am still planning on doing a tank. I made a template for it out of paper today. I am going to work on that here soon. I need to go pick up a chain for it. More or less all of my detail stuff. I need a kickstand which I have the original flightliner one but when I took it apart I was in my backyard and when I took the clip off that holds the kickstand in it popped like 20 feet into the grass and I couldn't find it for anything. I even busted out a metal detector and couldn't find it. Does anyone have one of these things I can buy or have any idea where to get one? I'm on my way to shower and lay around and watch a movie or something. I earned it today.

Wicked looking bike! Got a real mean stance.

thanks guys. I am digging it. It's not the size of the chainring so much as the small size of the wheels. I was skeptical to ever use these wheels but I did a mock up without bolting anything and I liked the way it made the bike sit plus I have them collecting dust so might as well use them. I need to tie some more red into the bike with the tank and maybe something else? I have to stare at it for awhile and figure it out. In the mean time I am going to focus on getting the tank made up this week.

I am seriously loosing count on these Murray frames, this may be #7.

Like what your doing so far, looks like a banana seat would work well with that seat tube relaxed.

JoKeR63 said:

Like what your doing so far, looks like a banana seat would work well with that seat tube relaxed.

It's a Sears Flightliner frame...did Murray make them?

LRayCincinnati said:
JoKeR63 said:

It's a Sears Flightliner frame...did Murray make them?

Yep, you can tell by the rear dropouts, it's a dead giveaway. I have a Sears version too.

Back