Old Manse Hawthorne...LAST DAY RIDE VIDEO! pg 9 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
I picked up this complete barn find Hawthorne about a year ago from a local man. It was his father's bike. Thinking it is a mid-'30s model, not sure of the manufacturer.

It's pretty rusty, but the wheels are true as the day is long, and the frame should clean up with some elbow grease, 0000 steel wool, and vinegar.

Most unique part are the aluminum fenders. My first vintage find with bare aluminum fenders. They are dented and need some TLC, but should shine up nicely; or at least as shiny as an OddJob rat rod can get.....;)

Here are a few pics and a link to a video I shot on Saturday to give you an introduction to 'Old Manse Hawthorne'.
PS There's a double entendre in the name. Figure it out, and I will send you a prize!

hawthorne badge.jpg
hawthorne build.jpg
hawthorne chain guard.jpg
hawthorne wheels.jpg

And a link to a video intro to 'Old Manse Hawthorne'.....

Nice old man's(old manse) frame to begin with...
Old man,that's what we call our fathers downunder.
So the name suits considering it was his fathers and it is a old man's skiptooth bike.

Nice old man's(old manse) frame to begin with...
Old man,that's what we call our fathers downunder.
So the name suits considering it was his fathers and it is a old man's skiptooth bike.
You've got half of it Funk. The second half of the meaning might take a little digging; especially for a non-Yankee....

You've got half of it Funk. The second half of the meaning might take a little digging; especially for a non-Yankee....
A manse is a clergy house inhabited by, or formerly inhabited by, a minister.
The Old Manse is a historic manse in Concord, Massachusetts, United States famous for its American historical and literary associations. It is open to the public as a nonprofit museum owned and operated by the Trustees of Reservations.
Hawthorne years
In 1842, the American writer Nathaniel Hawthorne rented the Old Manse for $100 a year. He moved in with his wife, transcendentalist Sophia Peabody, on July 9, 1842, as newlyweds.

A manse is a clergy house inhabited by, or formerly inhabited by, a minister.
The Old Manse is a historic manse in Concord, Massachusetts, United States famous for its American historical and literary associations. It is open to the public as a nonprofit museum owned and operated by the Trustees of Reservations.
Hawthorne years
In 1842, the American writer Nathaniel Hawthorne rented the Old Manse for $100 a year. He moved in with his wife, transcendentalist Sophia Peabody, on July 9, 1842, as newlyweds.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Now I'll really be impressed if you didn't have to use Google to figure that out .... just kidding!

N. Hawthorne wrote many of his short stories and other works while residing in the Old Manse. Funk, I will be sending you a special prize for your mix of literary and cyclerary insight. Send me your address in a Conversation please. And...RaT oN!

Huuuummm this is an odd one ...
With words being used like clean up , shine , steal wool & vinegar. I've never herd you speak in these terms . It's typically words like rust is a must, crusty , ratisfaction , rustafied Lol !!!!
I'm sure it will have your odd job touch on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huuuummm this is an odd one ...
With words being used like clean up , shine , steal wool & vinegar. I've never herd you speak in these terms . It's typically words like rust is a must, crusty , ratisfaction , rustafied Lol !!!!
I'm sure it will have your odd job touch on it .

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm picking up what you're laying down G. The thing is, after I have now spent about 3 hrs on the bike (of course, it's day one, gotta make some progress) with wire brush and steel wool and vinegar, here is what I have uncovered. I believe somebody may have, very carefully I might add, painted this whole bike kind of an orange-red color at some point. I'm not really finding any paint under the red, so it's puzzling. But the wheels and the frame are the same color. Which I don't think was common in the '30s. Here's a few shots after putting in some time with the ol' elbow grease....
chainstay.jpg
hawthornewheelcloseup.jpg
hawthornewheel.jpg

I also have mounted the saddle that I want to use on this build. Picked it up in the 'boneyard'...basement of my Santa Cruz dealer. Full of old rusty bikes, and parts stacked floor to ceiling.

saddle.jpg

One thing about this frame that is really cool is the seat binder bolt. It pierces the two seat stays right behind the seat tube. Pretty cool.

seatpost binder bolt.jpg

I really like the crusty and rusty patina of this the way it sits now. But I'd at least like to extend my build time frame out to the customary '1 month OddJob build' timeline!

Anybody else have opinions, ideas on the paint composition on this bike?
Let's hear em'.

Oh and, you all may have noticed that I'm not in the BACK40. Temps today through tomorrow not getting out of the 30's and rain both days. So I moved back into the garage for today and tomorrow's progress on the build.

Ahhhh, Minnesota in May......:confused:

The chinch bolt on mine has a round head and a indentation on the shaft where the seat post slides by. When you tighten it up, it snugs up to the post too. Pretty cool.

Carl.

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

Not bad OJ nothing wrong with changing things up a little bit . I like some shine once in a while my self if ya know what i mean : looking good so far . Some times you just got to kick back & think things over with a cold one . [emoji1303]

That guard :inlove:, lookin forward to seeing more.

It's a beautiful day in the BACK40. Old Manse is stripped down, and it looks pretty good. I'm really liking the patina of this bike....hmmmmm...

Secondly, my fenders upon further inspection, are stainless steel, not aluminum. Still not sure if I will keep them on the build or not. PM me if you are interested in making an offer...

20170504_121504.jpg

20170504_121349.jpg

20170504_121359.jpg

20170504_121421.jpg

The ducks seem to like it too....
20170504_121247.jpg

Latest posts

Back