old paint and lead

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought or maybe headups...
While sanding on 60 some years old bicycle frames and parts..
I began to wonder... about all that sanding particles... should contain lead..

So... be sure to wear dust mask while removing old paints.. wash hands thoroughly before eating food..

Stuff (lead) is nasty deal once it get into your digestive system..

Take care...

I ate lead paint chips, as a child....Uh, what was we talking about ? :headbang:

For sure on mask,gloves too.

Should wash,& satirize hands...
before eating,,,Always.:39:

Good thought to bring up...
Thanks.

Ya crack me up..thank, I needed a little laugh this morning..

We all sometime forget to remind ourselves about safety gears.. mainly safety glasses...

Ya crack me up..thank, I needed a little laugh this morning..

We all sometime forget to remind ourselves about safety gears.. mainly safety glasses...
:rofl: I try :grin:
For sure on safety goggles.:D

Incentive to leave those old paint jobs intact. But if I have to sand old paint, I go the extra mile and keep a caged canary nearby...
My canarys keep dying....
Usually on bean dinner day.:headbang:

Reviving this old thread as a reminder.

I've done it, and I know a lot of us here have done it. Get that old frame or part from the 30s or 40s and there's a bit of corrosion on it and we sand it close to our face while watching that corrosion go away.

I picked up this 40s delta rocket for the rustification I'm doing on my mom's bike's fender.
20230304_094521.jpg

While cleaning it up, I happened to put in phosphoric acid and water with the seat base. The light was rusted and white paint stains.and I wanted to leave it a bit rustified to match the bikes patina.
20230304_101910.jpg

20230304_101855.jpg

It came out of the soak light baby blue. Checked around and that indicates a Lead reaction.
20230316_181019.jpg

Scrubbed it with water and scotch Brite and it turned white. Definitely lead paint.
20230316_193608.jpg

Will end up continuing to scrub the paint off with gloves and water before I prime and paint it.
20230316_194450.jpg

Glad that I didn't just sand it down like after putting paint remover on it as usual.

Be safe and Ride On!!!

Just as frightening many paints contain PCBs so no heat. Safest way to dispose of any hazardous paint is wet and scrape leaving chunks big. Wear that mask
p_1001606501.jpg

The key to making it safe is do not create does. If you must sand wet surface really well.
I deal with this stuff for a living.

Just a thought or maybe headups...
While sanding on 60 some years old bicycle frames and parts..
I began to wonder... about all that sanding particles... should contain lead..

So... be sure to wear dust mask while removing old paints.. wash hands thoroughly before eating food..

Stuff (lead) is nasty deal once it get into your digestive system..

Take care...
I ate lead, still breath it in paint dust, inhaled a lot of asbestos from our heating pipes, played with mercury the dentist gave all the kids, inhaled and absorbed clorethane , absorbed ski wax solvents, not to mention all the tainted meat and milk I’ve processed for almost 80 years and it’s not got me yet. I say yet, the jury is still out.

I am about the same, use to chew on lead spit shots sinkers like gum, chunks of roofing tar the same, asbestos siding. Going on 82, still ride bike in the summer..............Curt.

I am about the same, use to chew on lead spit shots sinkers like gum, chunks of roofing tar the same, asbestos siding. Going on 82, still ride bike in the summer..............Curt.
You would probably like Finnish Tar Candy. It would bring back memories. It tastes like tar, licorice, salt and ammonia. Some say a dog would roll in it but I find it stimulating and enjoyable, it wakes up tired old taste buds. It has real tar as an ingredient.
image.jpg

I ate lead, still breath it in paint dust, inhaled a lot of asbestos from our heating pipes, played with mercury the dentist gave all the kids, inhaled and absorbed clorethane , absorbed ski wax solvents, not to mention all the tainted meat and milk I’ve processed for almost 80 years and it’s not got me yet. I say yet, the jury is still out.
Same here and I have 7 years up on you. "If you wanna be tough and healthy, you gotta eat a little dirt" My take on most of this. I rode my bicycle over 16 miles this morning, as I do every rideable morning, in a bit more than an hour, and barely broke a sweat. So all of the asbestos, lead and the other stuff you mentioned didn't bother me a bit. Not that that stuff isn't bad, but I think the badness is blown all out of proportion! "If you wanna be healthy, you gotta eat some dirt every noe and then"!

You would probably like Finnish Tar Candy. It would bring back memories. It tastes like tar, licorice, salt and ammonia. Some say a dog would roll in it but I find it stimulating and enjoyable, it wakes up tired old taste buds. It has real tar as an ingredient. View attachment 226641
Yep got to have black licorice, and black jellybeans………Curt

Latest posts

Back