Old timer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HeadBadge.jpg
IMG_0981.jpg
rightsideview.jpg
My first bike was a who knows what, that my Dad picked up for nothing. This was back around 1960 or 1961. It was a twenty inch with big fat tires. I have no idea what year or make it was. Dad tore it down, repainted it and gave it to me for Christmas. To me it was awesome. My first bike. Times were hard for my family at that time, but that gift has always meant a lot to me.
My first "NEW" bike was a Huffy "Eldorado". Gold of course. The popular bike of the time was the Stingray style, but then again, Dad was always practical. This one will last you awhile if you take care of it. I had that bike for many years and many incarnations. High rise handlebars, banana seat, tank on,tank off etc. I grew up in a generation that you made do with what you had.
My friends and I spent many hours swapping parts from one clunker to another. Let's see what we can build from these parts. Some , probably,
dangerous projects. Don't do wheelies if the hollow tube fork extensions aren't welded together. I have scars.
Bottom line, it was fun and I learned a lot about making something out of what others would call junk.Been doing it for many years and still have the urge.

I haven't done any kind of bike project, other than fixing up and repainting more modern bikes, in a long time. I think I have a project bike now. I just don't know for sure what I wan t to do with it. Should I just clean it up and keep it as a nice rider? It rides very nice. Or should I do a rat job on it? If I do the Rat thing, I intend to just swap parts and keep the originals intact. The bike is, I'm pretty sure mostly original.
Check out the pictures and let me know what you think. If I do decide to repaint, It will be a black and yellow theme to honor my Dad's first project for me. My Dad passed away three years ago. He bought this bike at an estate sale for ten dollars about twenty years ago. He planned on riding it but short story, it's been sitting in the back of the shed for twenty years.
Here some photos:
rightsidetank.jpg

It is a 1960 Rollfast Spacemaster. Pretty sure that it is original. except for the tires.
Let me know what you think I should do with it.

Latest posts

Back