One of my other projects....1960 F100

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Since Nate buys up all the bikes in this part of the state, I've been bored and needed something else to do in between finds.

I bought this 1960 Ford F100 about 8 years ago and decided it was time to dig it out and get it built in between bike projects. I had a vision for what I wanted it to be when it was done and have been collecting parts since the day I bought it. My 26 year old son Jason started a shop several years ago (he built his first truck at 15) building custom frames and suspensions for low rider trucks and he'll be doing most of the work.

2 weeks ago, this was how it looked after many years of storage.....still runs but hasn't been licensed and insured since 1974. This is the last time it will see daylight as a farm truck. It's going to be a hot rod in the near future.

Into the shop....kind of appropriate that all the work on my farm truck is going to be done in the basement of a 125 year old bank barn.

Looks like a cool project :wink: Is it gonna look like the other truck in the basement :shock: Or a more classic hot rod look :mrgreen:

Last week I stopped out to start work on it and this is what I found........One of Jason's buddies from his truck club and one of his friends who is the editor of a car/truck magazine (Street Scene..I think?) where bored and tore it down this far. Big help...thanks guys!

...so I spent 4 1/2 hours that night cutting rivets and removing suspension brackets and one of the crossmembers.

Jason normally custom builds tubing control arms and trailing arms for all of his projects. I had bought an '87 C4 Corvette front suspension several years ago and I wanted to go ahead and use it. The rear suspension will be custom built. Also he builds all his trucks using air suspension...I wanted this one built at Static ride height and it will be using coil overs on all 4 corners.

Heres the front suspension mocked in, squared up, leveled and tack welded in....

....in case your wondering, I was told the cement blocks was my new small block :mrgreen:

Sat the old front clip on it just to see if all was good.......and it is sweet. The dubs on it are just for mock up....they just happened to be the same 27" outside diameter as the 16" front steel wheel/tire combo I'll be running on it. the rears will also be 16's witha 31" tall tire. The goal is that when it's done it will look like a stock truck with a ride height adjustment. The front will be 9" lower than stock.

This is the new ride height.....

I hate these wheels but they give an idea of how far it's lowered. I'll post more of the progress in the following weeks.

That Truck is looking great. cant wait to see the finished product. :shock:

SimpleMan said:
Sat the old front clip on it just to see if all was good.......and it is sweet. The dubs on it are just for mock up....they just happened to be the same 27" outside diameter as the 16" front steel wheel/tire combo I'll be running on it. the rears will also be 16's witha 31" tall tire. The goal is that when it's done it will look like a stock truck with a ride height adjustment. The front will be 9" lower than stock.

This is the new ride height.....

Looks like its smiling!

Good work!

Cool, those trucks make great rods! That one must have stayed on the farm to survive all those Ohio winters! Down here, '57-77 trucks are pretty common, it isn't tough to find a decent solid one. And what's that wagon, behing the Craftsman toolbox? -Adam

It's a late 70's Suburban......the frame on the frame rack is for it. It's getting a Cummins turbo diesel put in it. 24" front rims and 26'" rears.

Rustinkerer said:
Cool, those trucks make great rods! That one must have stayed on the farm to survive all those Ohio winters! Down here, '57-77 trucks are pretty common, it isn't tough to find a decent solid one. And what's that wagon, behing the Craftsman toolbox? -Adam

SimpleMan said:
It's a late 70's Suburban......the frame on the frame rack is for it. It's getting a Cummins turbo diesel put in it. 24" front rims and 26'" rears.

Rustinkerer said:

SWEET! I just recently picked up a nice 86 GMC Burb for $900. -Adam

Back to work on the F100 finally....working on ride height. Front suspension is in, still working on the coil over mounts. Triangulated 4 link in the back is next.

Sweet ride, Wish I had the garage space to tear my VW down like that but I work in a back yard that when it rains turns into a swamp. And occasionally when my buddy allows I wheel it over there for a day or two to get anything major done.

Thanks guys......been building this truck in my mind for ten years. Nice to see it finally becoming reality. Running Wheel Vintiques 16" steelies on all four corners.

Some of my inspiration......the general look I'm after.

Latest posts

Back