only the bottom bearing is going out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday i decided it was time to rebuild my orange KRUSH bike and when i went to disassemble the springer i noticed something that i had noticed twice before, the bottom head tube bearing was shot. not dirty, or missing a ball, it was completely obliterated and ripped apart. the thing is, this has happened twice before, but only the bottom bearing. anyone have any ideas on whats happening? thanks :D

Got it packed with grease?

Is the bottom race chewed up?

Is the head nut cranked on too tight?

the race is good (changed it the first time this happened) and everything is loaded with grease, the headnut isnt on to tight that i know of cause it turns perfectly fine, i would probably never have noticed unless i took it appart. could the race be the wrong size? :?:

If the race fits the headtube...It could be the bearings that are the wrong sise.

What does the bottom race on the steertube look like?

wow, i feel stupid. i just went out there to take a picture of the race and i realized something, the bearing im using is one off a kids bike. :| well apparently its a hair smaller than the right ones. i went and grabbed one off another bike and wouldnt you know it!! it sits perfect. im still going to put a different race on it because this one doesnt seem right. thanks magic rat!

Back