OP Roller: sprocket tooth upgrade helps on hills?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My OP Roller has a stock 16 tooth single speed sprocket. I'd like to have a bit easier pedal on hills and would like to get some opinion on converting to a higher tooth count sprocket.

Thanks in advance. I'm new here :)

Are you talking about the cog in back? Going more teeth like a 22t will certainly help with hills but you'll probably need a longer chain. find a 2:1 ratio in teeth front to back about perfect for cruisers.

Yep, that's right.

You mentioned making this Sparker clone, I think they run a 24 x 3 tire in the rear. If you're gonna follow and you're looking to change the rear clog, you might consider an offset one like this:

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/794/Offset-Sprocket-Wide-Tires-22T/

02920.JPG

Cheers,
Dr. T

Finding the right gearing, that you can get up hills and yet still get moving elsewhere is the "make or break" facet of riding single speeds any distance, IMO. If you live in an area of no flats, you may have to go low and coast a lot. Lower gearing also gives you more leverage on the brake. Changing the rear sprocket 1 or 2 teeth makes a noticeable difference.

deorman said:
Finding the right gearing, that you can get up hills and yet still get moving elsewhere is the "make or break" facet of riding single speeds any distance, IMO..... Changing the rear sprocket 1 or 2 teeth makes a noticeable difference.

True that... I have bikes ranging from 2.2 to 2.55. I guess it is relatively flat here; but I prefer the 2.55. I take it out every night and ride 2 miles up a gentle grade and coast two miles down. I am going to the LBS tomorrow to get a new cog to switch one of the other bikes from 2.36 to 2.6. After some training with that, I will try to move up to a 2.88 :shock:

vestaviascott said:
My OP Roller has a stock 16 tooth single speed sprocket. I'd like to have a bit easier pedal on hills and would like to get some opinion on converting to a higher tooth count sprocket.

Thanks in advance. I'm new here :)

Try moving up to 18 teeth in the rear. That will give you about 2.2 ratio which is a real common cruiser ratio. You may need to add 1/2 link to the chain, depending on where your wheel is situated presently.

Another point. The bar/seat positioning and relationship to the pedals can make quite a difference in what gear you can push. A high bar or one with pullback that keeps you upright is more comfy and easy to handle at lower speeds, but a straight bar like you find on mtb's and some touring bikes (I guess they're called "hybrids" now :roll: ) is far better for climbing or trying to obtain speed.

Latest posts

Back