Open Road LAZER (Huffy Bandit)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked this up at a yard sale yesterday. It's an Open Road (Montgomery Wards) LAZER. Built by Huffy and is identical, except for colors, to a Huffy Bandit. Got it from the orogonal owner who purchased it new in 1978. 100% original as far as I can tell. It needs a good cleaning but its in good shape.

31229198576-vi.jpg

49229185440-vi.jpg

42229199792-vi.jpg

07229195280-vi.jpg

41227024400-vi.jpg

Then I stopped by another yard sale and picked up these generators for $.25 each.

13229084752-vi.jpg

And lastly, I stopped by another yard sale as it was getting dark to look at a couple 60's women's Murray's. Ended up buying this for $60. Not sure if it was a deal or not to be honest with ya....

58227975696-vi.jpg

Nice. The Park Tools repair stand is indeed worth $60, in my opinion and provided it is in good working condition.

What's up with the fenders on the Lazer and Bandit? Those things are hideous. :p

Speaking of the Bandit...might you be interested in it?

Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
Nice. The Park Tools repair stand is indeed worth $60, in my opinion and provided it is in good working condition.

What's up with the fenders on the Lazer and Bandit? Those things are hideous. :p

Speaking of the Bandit...might you be interested in it?

The Park stand looks almost new. It was rarely used. I think he said he used it twice and put it away. I agree w/ you on the fenders.

Funny story about the Bandit bike.....When I was 8 years old in 1978, I can remember going to a little mom & pop hardware store with my dad all the time. They sold Huffy bikes there. I remember seeing a Bandit next to a black Mono-Shock bike. I loved the mono-shock because I was into jumping everything and didn't like the look of the Bandit because of the fenders and handlebars. I would drool over the mono-shock every time we went there and would tell my dad how much I wanted it. But it was expensinve and we weren't the most well to do family. One day in the fall, we went to the hardware again and the mono-shock was gone. I was bummed about it pretty bad (for an 8 year old). My dad would tell me that we didn't have the money for it so I should stop thinking about it. Fast forward to Christmas that year and what did I find by the tree w/ my name on it? A brand new black Huffy Mono-Shock!! But sadly, a few years later, we had a garage fire and my Huffy, my Mom's childhood JC Higgins, other bikes, all our Tonka toys and out garden tractor were destroyed.

So I'm on the hunt for a Black Huffy Mono-Shock of that year. That's the only bike that I'm really LOOKING FOR. All the other I get are just a bonus.

The yard sale that had this huffy had a nice Columbia 24" multi-speed tandem for $100 butr I didn't want to fork it up.

Here's a couple more do-dads I picked up at a yard sale over the weekend. Plastic toys to put on the shelf I guess. My neighbor says he has another one for me if he can find it.

23236644208-vi.jpg

23236660336-vi.jpg

And the Park Tool stand is awesome! I wish I had gotten one of these a long time ago!

If you decide to sell with the lazer I would be interested.I also have one good bandit tire if you need one.I wish I still had my black mono shock I would hook you up.I sold it about a year ago.

PM sent

lopo68 said:
If you decide to sell with the lazer I would be interested.I also have one good bandit tire if you need one.I wish I still had my black mono shock I would hook you up.I sold it about a year ago.

Latest posts

Back