ORBO BF Junker Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Done watchin' you guys and gal having all the fun.
So here's my starting point , a 50s Goodrich badged Schwinn straight bar out of the junk pile.
100_1949.JPG

I have this pair of Kenda Nevigal 26x2.34 tires that have been gathering dust for a few years so might as well use them up.
100_1949.JPG
100_1951.JPG

An ACS double clamp stem could find its way on if I can find the right bar in the pile.
100_1953.JPG

100_1955.JPG

I should have some wheels in that pile as well.
The basic plan is a low buck build though I will have to buy at least a couple tubes and some cables and maybe a new chain.
Mark

Welcome Mark! Love the straight bar Schwinn frame...looks familiar! :wink1: And those tires should fill up that frame nicely. Rat on my f-Rat-ernity brother!

It's always cool to see one of your builds.

Thanks for the cool comments guys but actually my junk pile was one mans treasure that he started hoarding back in the 30s and after he passed away his younger business partner gave it all to me !
So I dug out an old Honda buried in the pile and robbed the bars, the knurling doesn't quite match the stem but its going to work. I also dug around for a fork, seat and post and started scraping off the multiple layers of peeling paint. Really didn't need or want paint on this bike. I have an old set of wheels from the early 80s that are likely to stay on this one.
100_1957.JPG

100_1963.JPG
100_1960.JPG

more later its back to diggin' and scraping
Mark

Great araya wheel set ! Looks like this will be a cool hard core old school klunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes G-Matt being an old guy I am old school !
This was a really good wheel set back in the day but doesn't compare to the modern stuff for strength but the Suzue hub is smooth as butter.
Mark
Aayaha probably sealed bearings but not a double walled rim . They do fit the build though you got the brand name after all [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the bars and fork! My bars are the same, the knurl doesn't fit the BMX stem clamping area; but then again, it's not like I'm hanging on to a 250 lb high torqued moto-x bike slamming over the bumps! :21: Seems to hold up fine for this low torqued 220 lb off-road adventurer...

A week and not much got done on the bike, the reason this bike was in the junk pile was some holes in the stays from the crank and with the repaint none of my buddies seem to want it..:39:
but after some prep, weld,grinding and file work I think it will be just fine.
100_1967.JPG
100_1971.JPG

a few low spots that I could easily fill with some mud later.
Cleaned up the fork , shot it a shimmering base.
100_1965.JPG

still need to finish striping the rest of the frame,
after lunch :bigsmile:
Mark

So I spent a bit of time scraping off that white paint, seems the previous owner didn't do much in the way of prep or priming before spraying...nope just painted right over the rust and old paint,
I always strip off all the old paint and rust before I paint, don't you ? things like this can hide under the rust, a crack showed up and its almost all the way through the dropout.
100_1976.JPG
I'll weld that up on both inside and outside, might as well fill in the divot on the inside of the dropout while I'm at it !
100_1978.JPG
pulled out some nos pedals and moto grips.
100_1981.JPG
100_1982.JPG

the matching rear wheel 5sp with atom drum brake, still need to clean and lube the brakes and bearings.
100_1983.JPG

100_1984.JPG

OK back at it !
Mark

So I spent a bit of time scraping off that white paint, seems the previous owner didn't do much in the way of prep or priming before spraying...nope just painted right over the rust and old paint,
I always strip off all the old paint and rust before I paint, don't you ? things like this can hide under the rust, a crack showed up and its almost all the way through the dropout.
View attachment 17978 I'll weld that up on both inside and outside, might as well fill in the divot on the inside of the dropout while I'm at it !
View attachment 17979 pulled out some nos pedals and moto grips.
View attachment 17980 View attachment 17981
the matching rear wheel 5sp with atom drum brake, still need to clean and lube the brakes and bearings.
View attachment 17982
View attachment 17983
OK back at it !
Mark
Looks good. Nice catch on the dropout.

Latest posts

Back