(ORBO) KLUNK THIS! IS FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my entry into the ORBO. It will start with a SamsCo badged Shelby frame. I plan on building a Bomber(pronounced simple), with a coaster brake.
001.JPG

I was going to swap all of the parts from a girl's Shelby Traveler onto this frame, but that hasn't happened yet.
The new plan is to swap some parts from an 80 something Magna mtb onto the Shelby frame.
002.JPG

This bike was a freebie thrown in on another bike deal. I will be using the crankset, stem and Akisu fork. I have this bottom bracket conversion kit that I plan to use.
004.JPG

That old Magna actually produced some pretty ok parts. The fork, cranks, grips will all be used. I would be using the wheels if I hadn't already used them on this Worksman. They were Kinlin rims with Joytech high flange hubs. Rims looked like Arayas.
057.JPG

Still working on bars, seatpost and a wheelset. May try building a set of truss rods.

Cracked open my Bendix 70 hub today. Yikes! I don't think it had seen grease since it left Mexico.
View attachment 15528

It came from a girl's AMF bike that sat in a barn most of its life. Looks like it will clean up just fine.
Looks good! Will you be chamfering the shoes and going loose ball bearings?

Luke.

Looks good! Will you be chamfering the shoes and going loose ball bearings?

Luke.
Yes, I will. I'll have to dry fit it after it is all clean, so I can visualize which side of the shoe to grind on. I believe that I will need to keep the bearing retainer on the brake arm side, but I can go loose ball on the other two.

Yes, I will. I'll have to dry fit it after it is all clean, so I can visualize which side of the shoe to grind on. I believe that I will need to keep the bearing retainer on the brake arm side, but I can go loose ball on the other two.
That is the way I understand it too! Very little crush load on the brake arm side, so the caged are fine there.

Luke.

I got my coaster hub modded today. First I had to find some extra ball bearings. Believe it or not, I found some in this Bendix RB(rust bucket). All bearings needed to be 1/4", so I only needed 1 good bearing (5 more balls).
003.JPG

Then I chamfered the shoes. Comparison. I didn't go crazy here.
001.JPG

Then reassembly. I was able to go from 10 to 13 balls on the inner bearing location, and from 7 to 9 on the outer.
008.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

Fin

I got my coaster hub modded today. First I had to find some extra ball bearings. Believe it or not, I found some in this Bendix RB(rust bucket). All bearings needed to be 1/4", so I only needed 1 good bearing (5 more balls).
View attachment 15640
Then I chamfered the shoes. Comparison. I didn't go crazy here.View attachment 15641
Then reassembly. I was able to go from 10 to 13 balls on the inner bearing location, and from 7 to 9 on the outer.
View attachment 15642
View attachment 15643
View attachment 15644
Fin
Nice work! You will love the difference!, My cheap KT is the best coaster I have ever used after doing the same thing, I can only imagine a quality hub would be even better!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back