(ORBO) Thorny Zeppelin *Now KLUNKDX*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Better late than never right? Got really excited for this build off and then forgot about it while I was taking a little break from the hobby.

Anywho. '37ish Hawthorne Zep/fastback frame. Have a 3 speed tandem wheelset for it. Set of rim brakes salvaged off a dyno I pulled from a river. Cheapo Amazon tube fork. Vintage Brooks B72. Everything else is up in the air. No real plan as to final product but I'll finish it before the deadline. I decided I was going to sell my 29er and make this my new off road rig. Should be fun!

As picked up.

Started mocking up parts to see what is going to fit. I have now figured out a way to use the tube fork, truss rods and bracket along with the rim brake. Going to take some minor modification, but I really wanted to use the rods and bracket.

I really like the lines on this frame and the rear triangle is pretty beefy. Should be a fun ride. I've been all over the place with colors and some other parts.

Jon

I've been thinking about the paint on this one. It's been awhile since I've gone all professional on a build with a nice paint job. Dug through my secret stash and work and forgot about some of the ...... colors I've already got mixed up. I went back and forth for awhile whether to paint it up nice or just rattle can it. It doesn't matter how nice it ends up, because I ride my bikes. Scratches and chips happen, such is life.

Jon

That's a cool frame. First I've seen. Are you gearing it? Otherwise you could go CB and make it simple....kind of hate to ruin the line of that rear triangle with brake cals and cables...! ;)

Yes it's getting a 3 speed Shimano tandem wheelset. I've had them sitting around for years and need to use them. It's got a coaster, although I'd planned on rim brakes front and rear. I'm not a huge fan of cables and crap ruining the lines of the bike, but when I ride off-road the rear brake is my go to. Don't trust myself with a coaster going downhill. I'll get it mostly mocked up and riding and see how she does, then tear it back down for paint and details.

Too many distractions. Bunch of different bike projects that need done and the weather is beautiful today. I did get the frame all stripped down and the headbadge off. It's ready to be blasted. Building this one has me thinking about another bike I have.

Did I mention distractions? Was trying to sell this postwar DX, but everytime I walk past it I get ideas... Finally decided to keep it and ordered parts this morning. Going period budget bomber. This is me playing around with a set of bars, not using them. Have bars, tires and fork which may not be used coming. The Schwinn on the stand needs a new rear axle I think, it's bent causing chain and brake issues.

I wish this one was a prewar, even though I actually prefer the c model like the Admiral on the stand.

Didn't get anything done on the klunker today. I'll get it blasted this week so I have a bare frame to work with while I mock parts up and know what I'm dealing with. Beginning to wonder if this frame will be to small for me, I'm 6'3". It's gonna take a long solid seat post.

Speaking of distractions, today I got involved with helping a very good friend restore his younger brothers first bike. 1966 Schwinn sprint fastback. He's only got some parts, but my brother just came up with a frame and the other sprint specific parts. One of my Grail bikes, he won't sell the parts so I can build it, but I told him I'll get the frame from my brother and paint it coppertone like his brothers original bike and then help him put it together. As long as I get to ride, fine by me. :grin:

Making progress I guess. Did some more mock up of the actual parts that will be going on the bike. This is pretty much what it'll look like.

Have to think of something to mount the rear brake without modifying the frame. I think I'll leave the steer tube long and put some spacers on it, the truss rods have to be mounted higher and bolted in the holes on the fork, they won't reach the axle.

I'm not sure what the rear hub gearing is like yet, hoping that front sprocket will work. It's been laying around for over 10 years and it needs to be used, its got the same swoop pattern as the original. I'm liking where it's going so far, I usually don't build bikes with gears and handbrakes. It's just not my thing, I like simplicity.

Here I go again... every time I read about someone getting ready to use spacers I have a suggestion. Put them under the bottom race on your fork. It lifts the frame up for more clearance. You have to mess with the little shim on the fork under the race (I open up the spacer to clear it) then you have to reshim the race in the new position. But when you are done fiddling around with it, it's worth it, and it looks better than a stack of shims on top.
DSC00840.JPG
BIG spacer kept me from cutting the fork threads.
Now I have 12 inches, ground to the BB center.

Carl.

Cool build !!:113: maybe a sleeve to fit a treadless stem and then tread the cap or a locknut on what is left of the treads on top of it..? i had that idea once , but my steerer tube was not long enough, yet too long at the same time ;)

Well, if it was me, I'd just clean it up and clear it. Really happy with my clear results on Mesa Buggie. That original patina is, like you say....not to replicate.

Too late. I had already blasted the rear half of the frame. I started to see that and stopped to get some pictures so I could replicate it. This was too rusty and pitted to really salvage it and make it look good. I've got too many nicer patinad rides, this one wouldn't have cleaned up very well. It's all blasted now. I was planning a green with white darts, now I'm starting to rethink and maybe go with a lighter blue.

Latest posts

Back