ORBO2016 The Coaster Mullet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will it klunk HARD?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I promised a thread by Monday, but i've been working like a dog for the past month, so i have no pics.... Basics are as follows: Worksman frame, disc up front, Bendix RedBand singlespeed rear, 29" hoops, typical neo-klunk mods, going for a bmx aesthetic and modern offroad/trail performance--gonna race it. (probably not gonna win on it.) Once i snap some pics of the frame and parts on-hand, i'll edit this post. Build progress shots and updates as they occur.

I try to stay "humble," and if i can't manage that, i at least go for "neutral." Plus, i might change my vote after March 26, b/c that's race day. (My prediction? The Coaster Mullet will klunk hard, but Bicycle808 will get tired quick....)

sounds like me lately .....well the "gets tired quick" part anyhow !:21::agree:

OK, here's a cheezy update, but it's all I got for now....
I just did a little mental inventory check (been working STUPID hours, and I'm at work now, so I'm checking by memory), but here's what I've got so far:
Frame: Worksman M2600 (may go with an INB; gotta see how it all fits upon mock-up)
Fork: Surly Instigator disc
Stem: Mr. Tick 6-bolt
Bars: Al's Rapid Transit Kos Knock-offs
Front Brake: I got an Avid Juicy 5 on-deck; might go another route, though
Post: A length of 11-gauge 316L stainless tubing, 7/8" OD, polished up pretty good
Saddle: quilted kiddie cheap jawn
Clamp: Got a hot ACS one in a goldish color from @Smoopy's a while back. Hope i can find it....
Rims: Velocity Blunt 35, high polish, 32h/36h f/r
Rear Hub: Bendix Red Band singlespeed, 36h, gonna dress it up pretty good. Probably gonna go 30x18 on the gears
Chain: Yaban S410
Tires: I got a single Nevegal in 29x2.2"; probably gonna get a second and just run the set. Considering others, too, though.
Padset: Got a set of Flites; gonna use the top-tube pad on the bar, the stempad fits the Tick1 stem (I checked), and leave the frame without a pad....

I know i got other necessary doodads, like coaster straps, seat guts, headset spacers, etc. I just ordered some hot custom grips (pics to come), and got other stuff cooking as far as bits-n-pieces go. I also ordered a headset from @chattymatty to fit the Worksman headtube, so that's handled. Got a lot of inane-yet-relevant stickers in my stash, plus some ideas for home-made stickers, and other gaudy crap which will hurt my standings, i'm sure... Pics to follow... i hope. Gotta find a minute to snap some photos, gotta drop the frame/fork/bars off for powder, etc.

ALSO, I got one last trick up my sleeve; I'm entering a local MTB race, and i'm gonna run the Coaster Mullet in the race. The ORBO Official Rules post states that this build-off is for "bikes that are meant to be ridden hard and fast, jumped, skidded and abused!" I figure a race would be the perfect proving ground for such a machine; i just hope i'm up to the challenge....

https://www.bikereg.com/march-mayhem-mountain-bike-race

Last edited:
Great list of stuff!
I hope we get to see some pics from the race!

Luke.

My buddy Padge is racing too, and probably in a different class, so it'd be a different heat..... so, yeah, we're bringing the camera. He'll get a few shots of me huffing and puffing....

Race day is March 26 (i can't believe ppl are done their builds already; i got spooked and had to re-confirm that the deadline is April 1st); in the meantime, i need to take some "before" pics, "progress" pics, etc. AND, lace these wheels!!!!

Pretty stoked to race; i'm trying to lose ten ponds and get into better shape by race day, but i'll be competing in the Clyde class, regardless. :crazy:

sweet. I'm down for a trail ride when they're done, but no mountain bike race for me. definitely mock up that 2600 with the 29s. i don't know how tall you are but it could turn into a nut buster for sure.

Yeah, i'm a little worried about that, but i got another INB frame on the way, plus others sittin' around, b/c i'm just "that guy"... also toying with the idea of using an Emory.

B808, you get my vote because racing something you wouldn't normally enter clearly proves its off-road capabilities. Suffering in the Clydesdale class won't help you either: I know that those 200lb+ monsters hammer in the sport class! Can't wait to see the huff-puff videos of you and the bike in action!! skpc

B808, you get my vote because racing something you wouldn't normally enter clearly proves its off-road capabilities. Suffering in the Clydesdale class won't help you either: I know that those 200lb+ monsters hammer in the sport class! Can't wait to see the huff-puff videos of you and the bike in action!! skpc

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my bike, and the wake-up call about my chances in the race. I'm a heavy guy, but i do ride daily, so i'll definitely survive the 17miles... not sure if i'll actually be competitive or not.

I'm thinking the Clydesdale Open will save me $5 and buy me an hour and a half to suss things out (my buddy will be riding at 9a), plus it's 3 laps with big guys, which will probably be easier for me than 2 laps with little guys (sprints aren't my strong suit...)

I really got to get to building, but it's Valentine's Day weekend, and the Missus has to be top priority. But, once she's asleep, i'll be back online, ordering spokes, some coaster hot-rod supplies, maybe some cranks, if the funds allow it... I mostly gotta grind these dang chainguard tabs off.....

Cool. Haven't seen your bike yet, but know it'll clunk with the best of em.. I used to race the Clydesdale sport class when I was a bit younger here in PC, and actually won the Nationals held here in 2000. Now just riding instead of suffering! Good luck in the BO and the two hour race!! Looking forward to seeing your "race rig" :aggressive:skpv

There's a saying in the computer world about software that's talked about a lot but never see's the light of day, vaporware. :39: I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever SEE this bike? The good thing about a vaporbike though, is... You'll never get any dirt on ya riding it...o_O

Come on man, post a pic!

Carl.

Vaporware...i like it. Sounds fast, but i'm worried it wouldn't be laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant.

There's no bike yet. :crazy: This buildoff has been on for 6 weeks now; it's half-over, and i've yet to turn a wrench even a single time... That's gotta be some kind of record. There's 2 frames vying for the job, a pile of parts, some parts on the way, plus a few i've yet to order.... But, i have half the day off tomorrow; maybe i'll snap some pics if it's not snowing....

I mostly need to order bearings and spokes, plus a complete set of tires. I NEED to mock up the frame with the wheels, to decide whether i'm running the 18" INB frame, or the 20" M2600.... it's mostly gonna come down to clearance between the legs.

Vapor, schmapor. It's right over there, next to the red one. :crazy:
bike-pile.jpg

:grin:

Oh yeah, it IS right over there, next to the red one.... but i'm thinking i might actually use the red one instead, anyway.

Some progress, no pics (yet): I'm pretty sure i decided to run the 18" INB frame; i hacked off one chainguard tab, but then quit b/c i realized i haven't taken any pictures.

I also knocked out the headset cups and measured them so i could give the specs to @chattymatty so he can turn down a Tange LAV-82 to fit the Worksman headtube. For those who care and/or need to know: the cups' OD at insertion are 1.315", or 33.401mm for the metric fans. In previous attempts to monkey around with steel tubing, i discovered that 13g 1.5" steel tubing has an ID of 1.31", and it appears that Worksman builds its headlugs out of a section of that steel.

Oh, my first bit of disappointment: my semi-custom lock-on grips arrived, but they're a high-viz chartreuse rather than a yellow color, and they'll clash furiously with my pads. The clamps look awesome, though, so i'll likely just switch the highlighter-colored rubber for some black Rogue grips i got, and keep the lock-on clamps for the Coaster Mullet. Pretty sure my garish build will still meet Velominati rules; i'll match my grips to my tires, my saddle to my BMX racing pads, and my frame to my fork and handlebars. Good to go. :crazy::43::crazy:

Let's see, other than that, i ain't done JACK. Need to double-check the specs on my Bendix RB2 so i can order spokes. That's gotta be job one, b/c it might take a while for the spokes to arrive, and a little while more to build wheels. I also gotta finish removing chainguard tabs, so i can get my frame/fork/bars out to powder. From there, all i'll have to do is bolt it all together and go lose a mtb race....:grin:

18 posts and still no bike.
Except a pile of them over at Deormans...
Come on man give us a peek!

Carl.

18 posts and still no bike.
Except a pile of them over at Deormans...
Come on man give us a peek!

Carl.

Just to be clear, i have a bike, or at least, i have a frame and almost every other part.... just no pictures.

One thing i have on the way is a big ol' sac of fancy-pants bearings. My ol' Bendix Red Band 2 is going to be the most hot-rodded coaster hub in this entire buildoff. I might not win the ORBO; i surely won't win the mtb race; but if there's a "hottest coaster" sub-contest, i'm pretty sure i'll have that in the bag....

Latest posts

Back