Origins of Mountain Bike Geometry and more with Will Clauson and the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing that the climate in Phoenix lends itself to that kind of thing. The bike I'm scoping is next to a heavily salted roadway, and I'm guessing that dirt bike chrome is not made with Canadian winters in mind. Maybe I'll take a closer look, grab some pics, next time I'm in the area

85% of the battle in using vintage motorcycle bars is finding a set that aren't bent beyond using. There are a few reasonably priced repops. This past winter I scored 2 NOS pairs of MSR Dominator high bend ATV bars for $20 each delivered. They are perfect for me as far as reach and bend; I'm using one set on my U-Haul. Early Yamaha DT & MX bars have some of the best configurations for use on a bike build IMHO.

@Couch tater , yep, that's why I typically spend a couple hours scouting the graveyard. We used to be able to go in with wrenches, etc and remove what we wanted, then dicker on a price at the counter. Now they want you to get one of the yard guys to do the removal (although I inevitably end up helping out) so I usually only harvest a couple bars per visit. Never paid more than $15 for one of these hand-picked bars. Plus, you get to hang out in the desert sun among a few acres of rusty metal!

Hey guys, this is a really cool thread! I have been riding / racing / adventuring on mountain bikes since 1987. Big fan of Gary Fisher, since I rode his CR7 for 5 years, and sold his bikes from '89 - present day (many of Gary's ideas are featured on current Trek mountain bike models, or have derived from them).

As many of you remember, I re-built a Fisher CR7 to how I rode it in the early '90s in a past RRB build off, #13 if I recall.

Another build I have done since my joining this forum, is my Desert Sky klunker build. Initially it was a single speed, but a couple of years ago I added a geared rear wheel, an adapter to put a disc brake in the rear, and a three-piece crankset in the front (which actually came from an early '90s mtb). The bike started out as a early '50s Hiawatha cruiser with fenders et al.
I have to say, the geometry on this bike is amazing for off-road klunking! I take it on easy trails here in the desert, and it handles well, accelerates well, goes downhill well, and climbs pretty decently too (probably it's weakest trait). I have often thought of having a custom frame build of lighter weight steel tubing, with this identical geometry of Desert Sky. It rides that good!

Here are a few photos to show the build(s). Again, this is a cool thread, thanks to @whitecoyote for getting it started!

The day I picked up the bike:

View attachment 152919

Pretty solid condition. And only a 20 min drive from my house in Minnesota. I had a dream to match the blue sky in AZ, hence the name, so I stripped the frame and found it was a brazed frame! Really smooth welds, and well done.

View attachment 152920View attachment 152921View attachment 152922View attachment 152923

Rode it in this single speed config for a couple years. The seatpost is a 'Chad post' from chopshopkustomz , one of our forum members. That allowed me to 'get back' in a better position. The bars are '78 Yamaha moto-x bars found in a motocycle graveyard in Phoenix. Wheels are original as well as the crank in the photo above ^.

The next config involved a 6 speed rear freewheel hub, an old Shimano Eagle der, a disc brake adapter and Avid BB7 cable disc rotor and lever, and a three-piece conversion BB. I mounted a Shimano crank from late '80s very early '90s and the vintage Rock Ring bash guard.

View attachment 152910View attachment 152912View attachment 152911

The modern aluminum double walled wheels make this bike ride lighter and more responsive. It really is one of my favorite rides!
IMG_0082 small.JPG

I picked this up a couple years ago, seems pretty similar.

Latest posts

Back