Our Throw Away Society - a save!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
So this won't be what you think it is about - bikes,, but most of you pr9obably have a story about a piece of equipment that you like so much you can't give it up so you do whatever it takes to keep it going. Our Microwave decided today to stop working mid popcorn poppin'. My wife yells down to me to check the breaker box, no blown fuses. I check the outlet breaker, it's OK. So I checked the unit in another outlet, no power, no worky. Flip the thing around and I knew we had this thing for a looooong time. Christmas 1989 to be exact. We had just started to date and it was a present. 21 years on a Microwave is pretty good and as they say, They don't make them like that anymore! Long and short of the repair - Filthy air vents in the back and the fan motor was caked with greasy dust and grime and a blown inline power fuse. Not really finding any manual on line for it I had to take it apart without any guidance and use some common sense by reading the wiring schematic on the inside cover. All back together and a quick check and it works good as new!

My question is I wonder how many people in today's "throw away society" would just pitch it and pay the $300 for a new one? I know i wasn't going to let it go without a fight!!! :D :)

As an aside I also saved my 12 year old shaver this week because I refused to throw away the old one and used it for parts to fix my current one!

Joe

You outa see my barbeque :shock: Its a rat, never seen shelter the vents are rusted shut the base is about to rust thru ,my wife hates it,the kids support it and its not one of those fu fu gas things neither it was built to take abuse ( its from Texas) see if I can keep it another year :wink:

don't knock them to bad though! some of my best scores were from sheeple lacking the knowledge of knowing better!!
window A/C only thing wrong was filter was so dirty it just made noise,
high dollar vacuum that had a wad of pet hair or the family hamster stuck in it keeping it from working right
one mans trash is another mans treasure.

91 shadow is kinda like my ol'lady . needed work over the years,don't look as good as it did when we first met but she is a comfy ol'girl and i know right where all the buttons and knobs are.. :wink:
EDIT** oh and she still gets 28/33 mpg
2918_1085045685886_1218698454_30304970_8171632_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back