Paint alu rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
I'm considering painting my rims black or brown these days, but I'm not sure how to do it since they are in aluminium and someone told me the usual car spray paint wouldn't work on them.
Any of you guys has already done such a thing ?
Thx in advance.

well that's an answer !
Thx a lot.
I'll let you know how it works.

I had my neighbor paint my dad's aluminum boat. We stripped it, scuffed it up, acid etched it, and then put this weird conditioner that I swear was iodine on it. Then he painted it with DP Epoxy White Primer. We left it like that..no top paint. 8 years later it's still in great shape. The military scuffs it, wipes it with prepsall solvent, primes it with Zinc Chromate the olive green primer and then paints as required. Usually a scotchbrite pad it adequate for scuffing. Keep in mind however I am an idiot.

october said:
Kev,

do they need to be scuffed first?

what about etching primer?

thanks!

Yes..sorry..a scuff First,
and I'm not sure about Acid Etch Primer on Aluminum.
I've never tried that...
I always use a Non Ferous Metal Primer
( Ferous = Iron ) for those who where wondering.

Self etching primer has worked well for me. Dominion Sure Seal has become my preferred brand, but I'm sure there are others that are just as good (if not better) on the market.

http://www.dominionsureseal.com/product ... 0&catid=31

While this particular brand probably isn't available in France, there's certain to be an equivalent on the market. Auto body supply shops are the best place to find this type of primer.

-Mp

Aluminum primer

When I worked in an electrical shop, receiving half-finished parts from our in-house welding and machine shop, the aluminum parts were primed and corrosion-treated with a process called Alodining.

I tihnk it's a trade name for the chemical. And it seemed to be iodine. (Imagine that). It involved washing the parts in a light acid, then clear water rinse, then they entered the Alodine solution and waited for about 10 minutes. Then another water rinse and the part would be golden, and ready for primer and paint.

Seemed pretty foolproof, and the materials were non-hazardous. We're talking about a DILUTE solution of acid and of the iodine mixture.

Maybe a local machine shop can help with this.

These days, though, lots of cars have aluminum body panels, so body shops are dealing with the issues all the time. Long term, poor aluminum prep work results in white, bubbly corrosion under the paint. So they must do SOMETHING to prep the aluminum before priming and finish painting. I'd go ask at a paint store, Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore or anyone selling REAL paint to the body shop pros.

--=={{Rob}}==--

like multipass said, just use a good wax/grease remover and use self-etching primer. ive not had any problems either. i use the dupont s/e primer.

Back