Paint or leave the patina RRBBO 19

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paint or leave the patina

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To paint or not to paint. That is the question.
Though I do enjoy the patina and layers of paint on this build off bike, I have the itch to paint it.
What would you do if it was yours?
IMG_5472.jpeg

IMG_5343.jpeg

To paint or not to paint. That is the question.
Though I do enjoy the patina and layers of paint on this build off bike, I have the itch to paint it.
View attachment 267620
View attachment 267624

I really like original paint patina bikes so I would probably leave it as is. But if it's an older repaint then I could go either way. This looks like a repaint so I'd say go crazy! Unless the brazing looks really cool, then bare metal might be appropriate. :grin:

To paint or not to paint.
Two very different questions here. I think a showstopping paint job would earn a lot of votes. Leaving "as is" could hurt, or it could help. Some might look at it as less work, almost an easy way out. Others might love the preservation of the bike's story. I say you should paint it.
I don't paint if I can help it. Not because of patina, not for preservation, I'm just lazy

I'd lose the knobby mountain bike tire(s). Just so wrong on a cruiser.

I really like the look of this bike so far! if it was mine, I would try to remove the re-paint and see what's underneath. If enough of the original finish is left, that would be my preference. Beyond that, bare metal looks great on some bikes but can be a lot of work. repainting is always my last resort just because I really hate painting.There's a big difference between patina and a horrible paint job. This is just one dude's opinion, for what it's worth I painted last year's build off bike...

I hadn't thought of bare metal when I voted. Now I'd say see how it looks bare, then prime and paint if it doesn't cut it. One consideration of bare metal is that it's hard to keep shiny. My 53 CWC shined up well at first, but was a dull grayish color later on.

I really like the look of this bike so far! if it was mine, I would try to remove the re-paint and see what's underneath. If enough of the original finish is left, that would be my preference. Beyond that, bare metal looks great on some bikes but can be a lot of work. repainting is always my last resort just because I really hate painting.There's a big difference between patina and a horrible paint job. This is just one dude's opinion, for what it's worth I painted last year's build off bike...
Thank you much ! I will do just that amd remove the repaint, and we’ll find out what’s under the black and cream crackle paint. It has an original apple red and possibly some blue features. Bare metal would be cool but I do like to paint. This paint job is horrible. Thanks for the input!
Are you keeping the shroud on the bike and the fenders? Either way i love black and chrome so that’s my vote.
Yes I am going with the rear fender and skirts. I agree with you on the black and chrome, and I think I will add some interesting color to the fenders and tank. I’m currently working on fitment of the chain guard which has been problematic. Thank you for your input!
I hadn't thought of bare metal when I voted. Now I'd say see how it looks bare, then prime and paint if it doesn't cut it. One consideration of bare metal is that it's hard to keep shiny. My 53 CWC shined up well at first, but was a dull grayish color later on.
I don’t think I will go bare metal. Lots of work with short time. I’ll strip it down to its original paint, if it has good adhesion, I will then scuff and fill areas. Thanks for your input! ✌🏻

If your keeping the skirts then itll be more cruiser style? A nice cream color would add to it for the accents and love it with a darkish red

Attachments

• IMG_5334.jpeg
    IMG_5334.jpeg
    721.4 KB · Views: 0
If your keeping the skirts then itll be more cruiser style? A nice cream color would add to it for the accents and love it with a darkish red
That is a slick bike! 💪🏻 I guess the bike will be a mix really. Sometimes a Klunker, sometimes a Cruiser. I think the skirts add a bit of style to it. All easily removable parts though. Still thinking on the color. ✌🏻

Latest posts

Back