Paint/ Powder Coat stripper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone got any great product recommendations, home recipes or good techniques to get off old paint or modern powder coat?

I’m putzing with that old frame I got off of 500 bike Bruce and wanting to remove the green finish off my flat bars for my skinny bike build

I used to just go buy stuff, but I think the EPA handcuffed a lot of manufacturers and the last few products I’ve bought have been lame.

-also, the cost on the off the shelf stuff has skyrocketed: I’ll pay for quality, but hate to throw down $40 for a product that does very little.

Last edited:
You should be able to get MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) from Ace hardware for under $30. They used to carry a small pint or half pint bottle that was only $15

As I understand it, paint strippers containing methylene chloride ARE still available...just not in the retail market. You must obtain them as a business. So...that begs the question: what exactly constitutes 'a business?' Is flipping bikes for profit a business? Could a bike co-op order these products for use by their members? Could a group of, say...'like-minded hobbyists' form a coalition for the purpose of securing these products? In light of all the frustration folks have experienced with the improved formulations (cough), these are questions that might be worth exploring.

As I understand it, paint strippers containing methylene chloride ARE still available...just not in the retail market. You must obtain them as a business. So...that begs the question: what exactly constitutes 'a business?' Is flipping bikes for profit a business? Could a bike co-op order these products for use by their members? Could a group of, say...'like-minded hobbyists' form a coalition for the purpose of securing these products? In light of all the frustration folks have experienced with the improved formulations (cough), these are questions that might be worth exploring.
Anyone on here got a body shop and can act as a distributor?

You can find a lot of information on the internet about using lye and corn starch as a stripper. The corn starch is to thicken it so it will stick to surfaces. I've watched my dad do this many times. It is very caustic and extreme caution must be used. It dissolves aluminum but not steel. Not safe around kids or pets. Here is info I found randomly on a search https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=24254

Last time I looked you can still buy real Zip Strip here. In places where it is restricted from consumer use, you might have to start a paper trail about your disposal & re-cycling practices or something.

Years ago, I used genuine US Air Force aircraft paint stripper, and the stuff was strong. I’ve never used anything stronger or more noxious, but Zip Strip is close.

All this stuff works better when the metal is hot. Be careful not to set it on fire because it will make poisonous fumes.

Latest posts

Back