Paint Removal Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, I tried to find a post I saw a while back but can;t find it. Tried the HOW TO, and Search maybe I am overlooking it.

Anyways, on this old SHapliegh Wonder bike I just noticed it has white paint on head tube that swoop back - they are hidden under old black paint.

My question is what can I use to remove the black (non original pant) and leave the white parts - thinner or spirits or wha? Anyone done this? Thanks< T.

There are no simple answers, all techniques involve extreme patience and care. If the top paint is cheap spray bomb stuff a product like OOPS or GooF Off available at any hardware store and a rag (chem resistant rubber gloves recommended) can do the job. I have had carb cleaner bubble spray bomb paint off and leave the factory finish, you can lightly sand the overcoat till it's real thin and try wiping the rest off with mineral spirits, Acetone, MEK(This stuff is nasty) are also options. The factory finish is usually the hardest to remove when you want it off, but damages very easy when you want to save it. Murphy's Law.

Aaron

My schwinn is painted over with sloppy brushed on black. I've had luck with finger nail polish remover (acetone) and a rag. Like mentioned above, just be patient and carefull.

try alittle acetone on a rag(on a hidden spot first just in case it take everything off)
if that ends up taking everything off theres 2 more things i can think of........
1: hoochs idea about the pressure washer to get rid of it(probably wasnt sanded when painted over so ittl fly off)
2: get some course cut rubbing compound and a rag and start rubbing(it WILL take forever though and your arms will want to fall off but it does work)
hope this helps

I collect old Aurora slot cars. We all know that many of those things got slathered in model paint when we were kids. I've had luck removing just about any type of paint from them by soaking them in Pine-Sol. It leaves the original factory paint stripes or details intact, but loosens whatever else was over it--brushed on, sprayed on, whatever. The only car it couldn't touch is one that appeared to be painted with nail polish. Not sure if there's a way you could soak part of the bike in a bucket or something with Pine-Sol in the bottom...

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what kind of paint Aurora used that holds up to Pine-Sol, or if bike paint will do the same... for all I know, the Pine-Sol might take the bike paint off...

--rick

Hey thanks for all the advice - the old black paint was real thick - maybe brushed on. I got real excited when I discovered the white underneath, BUT the white was also an old hand painted design - - oh well. Anyways, I got it all off best I could using a small fiber brush thingy on my dremmel tool. Cool things is I also cleaned off the Shapliegh Wonder Headbadge and it's brass or something, polished up NICE. After I get replacement matching fender from CCR, and 4" seat springs from ebay (the old seat springs were squished, I un-squished them, but they squished right back up when I sat on 'em. I also cleaned up and tried to straighten the rack on back, and am going to change the bars, do some minor painting and wil pst picks soon. I love this bike!

Here is a pic as I was working on white area:
shape_x1.jpg

Here is the bike I am talking about:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4429

Thanks again - best regards, T.

WHEN I WAS STRIPPING A 20 INCH I WAS RESTORING I WENT TO WAL MART AND GOT A CAN OF AIR CRAFT PAINT REMOVER. ITS IN THE AUTO SECTION BY THE AUTO PAINTS. SPRAY THAT ON WITH YOUR FRAME HANGIN FROM A RAFTER IN YOUR GARAGE (WITHOUT ANYTHING AROUND IT SINCE IT SPRAYS OUT PRETTY STRONGLY) AND FIND A HIGH PRESSURE HOSE (LIKE AT THE CAR WASH WHERE YOU WASH YOUR OWN CAR) I GOT THE ENTIRE FRAME DOWN TO BARE METAL. HERES HOW SMOOTHE THE PAINT WENT ON AFTERWARDS.
l_9d7322a617544dd15b40e55ba99ffcba.jpg

l_aee6b1f487f5410e8a105704b8c534d4.jpg

CAREFUL THOUGH CUZ THAT AIR CRAFT STUFF WII F*%@ YOU UP IF YOU LEAVE IT ON YOUR SKIN TOO LONG.

PRAISE THE LOWERED said:
WHEN I WAS STRIPPING A 20 INCH I WAS RESTORING I WENT TO WAL MART AND GOT A CAN OF AIR CRAFT PAINT REMOVER. ITS IN THE AUTO SECTION BY THE AUTO PAINTS. SPRAY THAT ON WITH YOUR FRAME HANGIN FROM A RAFTER IN YOUR GARAGE (WITHOUT ANYTHING AROUND IT SINCE IT SPRAYS OUT PRETTY STRONGLY) AND FIND A HIGH PRESSURE HOSE (LIKE AT THE CAR WASH WHERE YOU WASH YOUR OWN CAR) I GOT THE ENTIRE FRAME DOWN TO BARE METAL. HERES HOW SMOOTHE THE PAINT WENT ON AFTERWARDS.
CAREFUL THOUGH CUZ THAT AIR CRAFT STUFF WII F*%@ YOU UP IF YOU LEAVE IT ON YOUR SKIN TOO LONG.

Yes, it has a minty tingle... :x That stuff works great, use lots and be careful but it is worth the almost $10 a can it runs now. It's almost like a solvent bath it works so well.

NO LIE it is wicked stuff!!!!! i've used it to strip my guns at the bodyshop
mean stuff!!!
i don't know what % of Methylene Chloride is in it but WOW seconds it's on FIRE!!!! had two pair of gloves on. water don't help. acetone didn't phase it.
keep kids and pets away........

keep in mind we don't use it on steel because it accelerates the rusting of steel fasteners even if it is preped well before paint and FAA don't like that

EAR322_2_R.jpg

we always use a few cans of carberator cleaner
takes a little work but it comes off
get it at your local auto parts store
also i think gasket remover does pretty good too but i'm not sure

Upper Class White Trash said:
NO LIE it is wicked stuff!!!!! i've used it to strip my guns at the bodyshop
mean stuff!!!
i don't know what % of Methylene Chloride is in it but WOW seconds it's on FIRE!!!! had two pair of gloves on. water don't help. acetone didn't phase it.
keep kids and pets away........

keep in mind we don't use it on steel because it accelerates the rusting of steel fasteners even if it is preped well before paint and FAA don't like that

EAR322_2_R.jpg
Yeah, it's nasty stuff. I put it on the side of my vintage Volvo (which they put 33 POUNDS of paint on at the factory) about 10 minutes later I walk out and the fenders and door paint have shifted a few inches down in one big sheet. I took a piece of cardboard and sluffed it all to the ground in a big "SLOOOP"
:D

Latest posts

Back