paint room

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinkin bout painting in my basement. It's cold here in MN and I can't get the garage warm enough but it's plenty warm in the house. No separate room so I'm considering using some poly and cordoning off my workspace. Any ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. would be gr8!

I paint in my basement in the winter also. I got an old fan out of a furnace (squirrel cage) and mounted it on the wall with the exhaust running out the basement window. Put cardboard or paper on the floor or your floor will end up painted. I used plastic film to wall off an area to keep the fumes from travelling around the house and it works pretty well. Also, you need some sort of respirator or at least a paper mask or you will end up with paint up your nose. The humidity in my basement in winter is super low and I get the best paint jobs when I paint down there. I use enamel and it does not like humidity at all. Gary

a lot of paints say to keep away from open flames so if you have a gas furnace you might create a problem. Paper masks are a waste of time. Paint up your nose will be the least of your problems if you are inhaling the fumes in a confined space.

You should have major outward ventilation from a booth separated from appliances by additional enclosure, to do anything beyond a few short periodic shots from a can inside a dwelling. You would still need to have ventilation.

With all the risks associated with the fumes in the house, why not make a small paintbooth in the garage, a makeshift enclosure out of tarps or cheap paneling?

You might be able to keep a small area warm enough to paint.

wont say do it or not since its your home and life but youll need some air flow coming in not just leaving or itll take forever to vent...as for a mask youll need more than a paper dust mask if using automotive paints(again your life not mine so listen or dont...)
try reading this it might answer your questions....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4744&hilit=paint+booth

Latest posts

Back