Painting Chrome Wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 1963 Sears Flightliner. Was wondering what most of you people are doing with the chrome wheels. I would like to paint them?? Any good ideas on getting good adhesion? Do I have to gut the wheel for best results. I was hoping to avoid having to relace the wheels if possible. I was thinking of masking the spokes and sandblasting them and then using a self etch primer and then a good black wheel paint. Anybody done this and had good luck

I've never done this; personally, I'd probably either try to get the chrome cleaned/polished up, OR just get a second wheelset in black... Every time I've seen paint-over-chrome, it came off pretty easily due to poor adhesion. I think you're on the right track with sandblasting and self-etching primer; I haven't seen it in person, but I spoke with a guy on bikeforums who went that route with some chrome wald fenders and reported good results.

I think half the "problem" is a lot of guys just spray-bomb over chrome, which of course will fail quickly.

Bicycle808 said:
powder-over-chrome peels soooooooooooo fast. Alot of coaters won't take that job.
That's because some don't have the equipment, you need to find one that will acid bath and sand blast them. Been running wheels on my auto-x car that I bought from some jack-wipe that chromed them. I had them PC 13 years ago and they see a heck of a lot more abuse then any bike wheel will go through. You are right though, I brought a frame to pretty big PC shop here in Chicago a month ago and they told me that I would have to have it sand blasted some where else. I mean this place was huge and they didn't even have a sand blaster, huh?

I have had luck with sandblasting and automotive metal etch primer and paint. No luck with spray bomb. With powder coating, from what I've paid before, Omaha area, you might be looking at about $50 to to $70 bucks for the pair but they will need to be dissasembled. You might want to consider what your free time is worth, the cost of materials, and if your willing to risk material failure/pealing... If its a standard plain jain rim then I would personaly consider looking for new pre assembled black rims. If its a cool rim than go for it!

I wanted to paint a set white, so I sanded them with sandpaper just enough to rough the chrome. If you sandblast you will be a step better than mine. Anyway I used Bulldog adhesion promoter. Make sure you get the one for metal, not plastic. Spray a couple coats giving ample dry time between. Mine held up pretty good ,for a few years anyway. Then I started hauling the bike around in my truck and the wheels got beat up a little. Still held up okay considering.

Latest posts

Back