Painting or refinishing steel crank and chainring

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a slightly rusted one from an old Raleigh in my shop.
I'm thinking of painting the chainring and the crank arms...though I am also wondering if the right process would render a good steel finish...(?)
I'm thinking of a light wire wheeling; then a go-over with something finer to get a reasonable finish...
Anyone have experience with this?

well if the rust pitting is not real bad , the wire wheel and multiple sanding with higher grit will give a nice satin style finish , just make sure the wire brush is softer then the metal u are grinding on so that u dont cause more deeper scratches to your part . they have soft brass wire wheels. also scratchless scrub pads work well on light rust.can then still polish up some with product like brasso or other metal polish after sanded . i think in the long run u will find this will hold up better then paint on a crank and sprocket. also should shoot it with a little clear . so that the part wont rust in the future . hope this helps . or if u have access, powder coating much more durable then paint because of it being baked on.

Latest posts

Back