Painting Phantom Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my chrome tank
wjtowl.png

What is the procedure to prepare for painting
only certain parts of the tank like this example ?

vy75gy.png

With regards to the Red paint only.

I painted mine two colors, first primer, then rustoleum enamel. After it dried for a few days, I added the second color. I used painter's masking tape, (the blue tape) and covered the areas I didn't want to paint. On yours, just tape the chrome first. I used an exacto knife to trim the tape to the curves of the tank. Finally, I used a silver paint pen to finish it by hand. It would have looked good as it was because my hand isn't that steady.

2ebse1v.jpg

Wildcat said:
I painted mine two colors, first primer, then rustoleum enamel. After it dried for a few days, I added the second color. I used painter's masking tape, (the blue tape) and covered the areas I didn't want to paint. On yours, just tape the chrome first. I used an exacto knife to trim the tape to the curves of the tank. Finally, I used a silver paint pen to finish it by hand. It would have looked good as it was because my hand isn't that steady.

2ebse1v.jpg

I'm trying as much as possible to have the tank painted in the
same candy red or transparent red as the rest of the bike.
I realize that it won't be a spot on duplicate..but as it is now,
it's better than plain chrome.
I'n thinking of a base color before applying the red to hopefully
achieve the desired look...not looking for perfection !
... your bike looks really nice !
Thanks for the input .

You'll need to tape the part you don't plan on paint. Then light sand the chrome/wet/dry sandpaper is best---very light just want to dull the shine not put scrashes in the finish.A good primer is also a must.

Don't forget the little pinstripe that runs just below the Schwinn decal. Phantoms, B6's and the deluxe bikes had that pinstripe. The lesser quality bikes didn't. Gary

Latest posts

Back