Painting Woes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stripped, with 80 grit and zip-strip, a roughly '77 Huffy ten speed from our basement. It got two coats of Rusto "Proffesional" primer and three coats of Rusto Antique Brass (tiny dark gold flakes). I masked the frame off, then sprayed Rusto Gloss Black Enamle. The black wrinkled. I sprayed light coats and waited a few hours between coats, and about two days between colors. The paint should have been dry between each color.
I called up Rustoleum's customer service and was told it was a chemical reaction between the two paints and that I should sand the wrinkles down and spray the black again. I wet sanded with some 320 grit, and sprayed another coat of black. The new coat wrinkled like the last.
I don't like the Rusto black enamal because it dries into a rubber like substance rather than a hard shell, and it wrinkles. I do like the clear enamel, because it makes a shell.
Here's the question, what paint black paint would make a hard shell rather than a rubber coating, and not react with the brass or the clear? And has anybody else had problems like this?

I would use

Varathane..."Colors in Plastic"

The Black Your Using has Hot Solvents ( Lacquer / Xzylene / Toluleen ) in it ,that aid in a Quick Drying Paint....or as they are called in Industry
Aromatics
When The Black Paint hits the coat below,
The Solvents bite into the Previously Painted surface,
causing The Solvents to Penetrate,and cause a Reaction that
Bubbles / Lift / Wrinkles that previous Coat of Paint

what you had happen is actuall something I do on Purpose when I am Faux Finishing a Surface to make it look Old and Crackly.

not so good on a Bike though.

so....sand it down and use a Black
"Varathane Colors in Plastic" is what I use,
This has a Way Slower Dry Time ( because The Solvent Content is Lower )
and it Shouldn't disrupt The Surface Below.

I like to use their Product called
"Satin Black #96

hope this helps,

peace,
Kev.

This is the reason almost anything i paint is a flat color, They never krinkle, Thanks for the help guys, Kev im doing a mean paint job on this skidding bike :)

Rick, that keeps from doing cool stuff with flake. But flat black does look sweet on its own.

I looked at the Rustoleum website to try and find where I could get "Colors in Plastic." I don't think it's available in the US. We have some environmental laws that ban certain paint, such as oil based house paint, that are slowly making their impact on what is on the shelves. I'll see what other black paints I can find that don't have those solvents in them.

I did find Rustoleum "Paint for Plastic," but it has Toulene, Acetone, and Xylene in it. Their "Aqua" or water based line, doesn't have these solvents in the paint. The MSDS sheet declares: Ethelyne Glycol Monobutyl Ether [sounds like anit-freeze], secondary Butyanol, Bon Black, and Dimethyl Ether. Even if it solvent free, I have little faith in water based paint. I just haven't had good luck with durability.

krylon has a h20 paint. i think thats the name for it. it will stick to anything

primersfiner said:
krylon has a h20 paint. i think thats the name for it. it will stick to anything
That stuff is water based so I don't know how well it will work. Wipes up with soap and water.

Clothespin "n" said:
Korp..
it's not a Rustoleum Product.

It's made buy "Varathane"

maybe it's Only Carried here.

http://www.polyclay.com/varathane.htm
and
http://www.rustoleum.com/brand.asp?frm_ ... d=21&SBL=1
for those of us in the states
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGBrand.asp?bid=12

I picked up a can of black laquer that was advertised as a furniture paint and tested out the paint from primer to clear coat on a spare board, there were no wrinkles, bubbles, peeling, or anything else weird like that. I'll make sure to post pictures when I get it done.

I belive what you are saying about the solvents, but I grabbed a can of laquer after my uncle (painted cars in the 70's) went on and on about how great laquer was. I had good luck with the test, so I'll use it.

I hate latex. Nothing against the people who like it. I don't trust a paint that cleans with water. It also has a tendency to jump off the sides of houses after one New England coastal winter.

just a thought could some of the paint stripper been left behind and caused problems? i used paint stripper on a frame once and thought i washed it all off. went to do the primer and it did the same thing in some of the tight areas.

Back