Part out or restore? Ladies Wards Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As the title says. I doubt I'll keep this long term, bought it to either flip to fund other projects, or maybe for parts:

hawth.jpg

If it were a mens bike I might hold on to it. It's not 100% original, but it's close enough that it seems a shame to part out, but I think it'll bring more money that way.

Seat and handlebars are definitely not original. Light is probably a later model, stem and pedals are in question. Paint is so-so, but metal is pretty straight and dent-free. Skip-tooth chain, hub and sprocket. Tires hold air, but are cracked. Wheels seem to be in nice shape.

Thoughts? I've got slightly less than $100 in it, so it didn't make sense to pass it up. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it to find the correct parts, but it seems like I could do well parting it out. Once that first part is gone I'd have to be committed to parting it I think.

Thats one sweet ride, mens or girl's bike aside. Personally I like to think of them as "step-thru" frames and i'd definatly keep and ride that sweet find. Redlines or Fat Franks would look sharp on that.

Id keep it just like it is except for some nice white walls,the curves of it being a girls bike with all the braces being curved work great together

Keep it whole or sell it whole...ask a fair price, give a good deal, get a good price, 2 people walk away happy :D

Road Master said:
IF you part it out you can potentially make three times what you have invested in it - just saying. DIBS ON THE HEADLIGHT!!! Good Luck and Have Fun! Robert

All right!! time to throw down!! I want that LIGHT!!!!!!!!! :x

lol, I would keep it together it is too nice to part out.

Is the light original to that bike? I don't know one way or the other, I just sensed it was too new for the bike. I'll put a close up picture of it up tomorrow. For that matter, I haven't really even researched the year of the bike yet. The serial number on the bottom bracket is K41682.

Been thinking about this bike, and I think I'll clean it up an paint it. I doubt I'll pay a lot of money to get the correct parts, but if I come across them at a fair price I'll get them. I think I already have a seat that wouldn't look as out of place on it, and I think the only other thing it really needs is bars and grips (and some tires). Not sure but I think the fork might be slightly bent back too, need to investigate that more.

Anyway, I can always part it out later if nobody is interested in it built up. Not like the parts are going to get less rare anytime soon. I highly doubt the blue paint is original, so I'm not worried about that.

Looks like we got enough people interested in the whole thing or parts. Waddayabidnowfive, Do I have an opening bid? :lol:

Lol, wasn't really my intention, but at least I know there's some interest there.

Out of curiosity, why is there so much interest in the skirts? Do people want them for girls bikes, er, step-throughs, or did they use them on mens bikes too? Outside of Pee Wee Herman's bike I can't recall seeing them on a mens bike, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention...

Put the oldest looking seat I have on it today. I think it's an improvement:

hawth2.jpg

Fork is definitely bent, but I think it can be fixed without too much trouble. Tank area has a button and a switch on it. Switch looks more modern. I'll know more about what's going on in there when I get into it.:

hawth3.jpg

Light is a "Bike Pals" light, kinda rough but it might clean up. I don't think it's original, but the bracket probably is:

hawthlt1.jpg

hawthlt2.jpg

hawthlt3.jpg

Keep it and ride it. Looks like a 40's Cleveland welding bike to me. Rear drop outs with adjustment screws and drop stand ears. Light and switch is way newer, should have a sealed beam light. Nice bike! but if you do part it, I want the fenders for my road master. I give you $35+ shipping for the fenders.

Back