Peugeot uo8 singlespeed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad thinks that I am a hipster because of all these singlespeeds. I am really not a hipster.

So, I wanted to build a singlespeed for longer singlespeed road rides. I have a 12 speed and a 16 speed for those super long and hilly road rides, but I wanted a singlespeed for long, and flat road rides. I bought this 1974 Peugeot uo8 10 speed that was painted by Evan Hatcher in 1978, for $50. It would be a great bike for this project. Poor man's singlespeed number 2, and faux fixie number 3.

I will use a similar method that I used on my singlespeed cyclocross bike.
DSC00583.JPG

These pictures of the Peugeot were from last October. (Yes it has been there for that long.)
DSC00043.JPG

DSC00045.JPG

As I entered the as is bike building, I found a treasure that was sitting behind a completely wrecked mountain bike. I do believe that this is the kind of hipster bike that my dad was thinking about. It uses the same conversion method that I am planning to use on my bike. This bike uses the exact same pedals that are on my gravel bike
IMG_20190120_144923369.jpg

Well, it looks like... oh no, I do think I have a hipster bike. Well, I love my hipster bike Miyata. It is one of my two favorite bikes in the whole world. It is a properly done conversion.
DSC00502.JPG

Anyway, I brought the bike home, and it is in worse condition than I expected. I will still make it into a great singlespeed.
DSC00595.JPG

The rear wheel is in bad shape. The axle is stuck and the freewheel is gummed up. The front axle is too. To ride it a bit, I stuck on a crappy German wheel with crossed freewheel threads. The German wheel is lower quality, but it will stay until I do repairs on the stock rear wheel.

Here is the bike mostly done. What I need is a freewheel, bar tape, and a seat. It was dark out, so I took some night shots. I will take some day pictures tomorrow morning.
DSC00599.JPG

DSC00600.JPG

DSC00601.JPG

DSC00602.JPG

Here is the bike with all my other singlespeeds, and my dad's mountain bike. My two red, geared road bikes are in the background.
DSC00603.JPG

I am amazed that such a simple conversion can change the appearance of a bike greatly.

Day 2

I got both wheels working by spraying wd40 into them. I also used wd40 to make the freewheel work. The rusty freewheel clatters at high speed, but the bike co op has a brand new conditioned Peugeot freewheel for $15. I will also remove the spoke guard.
DSC00607.JPG

I rode it around a bit, and it is quite smooth. I will probably upgrade to a side pull brake.
DSC00608.JPG

DSC00609.JPG

DSC00610.JPG

DSC00611.JPG

Last edited:
A few days ago, I installed a flat bar lever. I noticed that the stock lever was broken, and I had a high quality flat bar lever that would work on these steel bars.
DSC00634.JPG

Overhauling the headset.
DSC00638.JPG

DSC00639.JPG

DSC00640.JPG

DSC00641.JPG

DSC00642.JPG

The cone had a little thing sticking out that went through a hole on the spacer. The stock spacer broke. Here is a homemade one.
DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644.JPG

DSC00645.JPG

Look how rusty the stem bolt is, the cone is as rusty. I replaced both the bolt and the cone.
DSC00646.JPG

I needed to drill the stem out a bit to fit the new bolt.
DSC00647.JPG

The stem with the new bolt.
DSC00648.JPG

Headset is overhauled.
DSC00649.JPG

With stem.
DSC00652.JPG

A look at the new bolt.
DSC00653.JPG

With the bars on.
DSC00654.JPG

Last edited:
Cool mod. I have a ‘72 but for some reason I decided to try to keep ‘er original. Had to replace the original stem…luckily it broke while I was climbing uphill. Replaced of course 😟. Then the original Simplex front deraileur broke (aaargh, so expensive to replace) so I salvaged one off of a Free Spirit. For some odd reason I had an aversion to drop bars at the time (2008) so I replaced them with some flipped North road bars. It’s a hella fun bike to ride and the lugged frame is a great combination of strength to weight. It’s in my storage unit at this moment (I’ve a lot of bikes). But of course you know, you’ve got a jewel there (at least from my experience).

Here’s something that might be interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_UO-8

Awesome colour and geometry!
I like it with the cassette cover next to your rear sprocket (don't know the right name for it).
A small white numberplate at the toptube/headtube section could be cool too.
Anyway, the bike looks great!

I have a future Peugeot project too. Waiting on the attic...
20221127_114350.jpg

I like it with the cassette cover next to your rear sprocket
Dork disk*. That's what they call the plastic ones. The steel ones are cooler, and it's not dorky when used on a single. Love the way @Grant color matched his to the tape

*Actual term is spoke protector

Dork disk*. That's what they call the plastic ones. The steel ones are cooler, and it's not dorky when used on a single. Love the way @Grant color matched his to the tape

*Actual term is spoke protector
That term cracks me up every time I see it😅

That and “Suicide brake”

Tha
Awesome colour and geometry!
I like it with the cassette cover next to your rear sprocket (don't know the right name for it).
A small white numberplate at the toptube/headtube section could be cool too.
Anyway, the bike looks great!

I have a future Peugeot project too. Waiting on the attic...
View attachment 224176
that fender light is treś cool 😎

Latest posts

Back