picked up some english bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
had some folks call and told me they had some ww2 bikes, I took for granted they were American bikes but they were English. don't know much about English bikes but I think the his/hers Hercules are from the 50's . they rode them at some air shows. They wanted em gone so they were cheep!!

laberdale the fork and stem look Schwinn?

and this black Raleigh

They proberly aint as old as they said, the ones with sturmey archer hubs got date stamps on the hubs. looks like 1960/1970s bikes to me, all Raleigh built. though some parts are changed. they are just painted over with army colored paint. youll most likely find normal paint under that, english bikes have very durable long lasting paint

Black one looks like a brown Raleigh sports wich is a 1970's model

The Wheeler Field bike is a Birmingham England Hercules, those were made 1960 and earlier, the chainring and headbadge verify that. The SA hub will have a 2 digit year with the month also, stamped on the shell next to the name. The women's looks like the same frame and guard, but has a raleigh chain ring. I like that Wheeler bike the best, and would ride it just as it is. The woman's Aberdale does look to have a Schwinn fork, and also a Schwinn chain guard.

thanks for the info. Guy's.i was 100% shure they wert military.
Hsen... you're rite about the black bike it is brown and the others look to have org.paint under the green. shure was wanting to find American military bikes when I got there!

Wildcat..i had looked at some photos of some bikes that were in the 50's and they had the same lugs, the Hercules hubs I did not see a date just model-5 rest has thick paint on them, did not notice the chain guard on the aberdale but the fork did look Schwinn. the people wanted them gone so I got a real good price +2 old jeep like gas cans, another men's frame and seat. have no idea what im going to do with them

Look on the rear hub for the date code:
year & month.
Sturmey Archer started using date codes some time in the early 1950s i think.
There are bootleg copies from Austria that don't have the SA label or date codes but Raleigh would never have used those, only Schwinn and Sears.

IMG_0920_zps331a838d.jpg

oddrodal said:
laberdale the fork and stem look Schwinn?

Yeah, bent Schwinn flat blade fork with sidepull brake holes. The chain guard looks Schwinn too except the rear mount is in the wrong place. The top head set has a fork brace bracket that would not have been on any English bike or a Schwinn lightweight.

The three green models don't have shift cables so they are all "stuck" in high gear. Not much fun to ride that way.

oddrodal said:

any chance of a new photo of the head badge without the shadows?
tx,
rick

They are franken bikes. I got a load of them last year, some guy was make working bikes with all kinds of random parts. 80% where scrapped due to bent frames. lol. That english stuff is great though, I offten have mountains and buckets of Sturmey archer <--- my most fav gear brand. interesting thought on that aswell. Did you know they also made rims. and even back racks? theres some other neat things they also made. dyno hubs are also something ......!

Latest posts

Back