Pics of my Schwinn American

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been told the same thing about the middleweight Schwinns. I have a '63 Deluxe American that I found at a yard sale for $40 last summer. I have it torn down right now and haven't decided yet if I'm going to bring it back to stock or rod it. Yours has some acceseries on it that I don't think I've seen before like the rails on the back, the S seat with the crash rail around it and the Cycletruck looking basket on the front of it. All of which give it a very cool look. What year is yours? Keep the rubber side down...Kelly

schwinn3resized7ii.png

Well, it has alot of collectible parts. The shifter, the seat crash bar, the huge crash bars on the back, and the paint is in great!!! shape!!!

That's one beautiful Deluxe American you have there, Kelly! I had the rose and white one in the ad you posted. I may end up seeking another one or an old Starlet eventually. I am not sure I can "negotiate" the top bar on a boy's model because of my artheritis. I love the "personality" that the tanks added to the overall look of the bikes. This Schwinn American was built in October of 1955. The basket was standard fare for kids that had paper routes. I always had one on my bikes because I worked in my dad's grocery store and delivered groceries. Pop in a pillow, and I could ram the roads with my first Dachshund. I have 2 Dachshunds now, and my youngest one will enjoy riding along.

Thanks, dumpster_diver. I am kind of afraid to take it apart because I was told on the other forum that the rear hub is a cable activated two speed. I had a Varsity for a few years, but was never comfortable shifting gears. Yet anoher reason I will probably be looking for another bike. I would appreciate any info on the cable activated two speed anyone may have. Also any info on any of the parts, and what may or may not be original.

Thanks!

Peg

One more thing...

I have Glenn's Bicycle Repair Manual and Vol.1 of an old Schwinn Service Manual. can anyone advise me on what sections of those books I should look at for working on this bike? I have borrowed them from a library, and cannot keep them very long.

Thanks for the compliments Peg, it actually looks better on film than close up. The story I got when I found it was that the original owner rode it every day for many years and I bought it from his daughter. The bike came with a Schwinn speedo that I took off because the housing was broke, but the odometer had over 2000 miles on it. The bike is deffinatly ridden with chips an dings all over it. All in all its in good condition...Kelly

There is white paint "drips" on the fenders, frame, and seat. Is there a safe way to remove the paint on the painted surfaces without damaging the original paint job? In this same vien, how should I tackle the rust spots on the frame and fenders?

Peg

Well, I have started taking the bike apart. I guess all I needed to start making decisions was to begin doing something.

I am not going to attempt to fully restore this bike. I like the accessories, and I will need the basket on my rider, so have decided to clean and restore the parts I will want on my rat rod. I just do not need the info I will be learning about that rear hub. Just want to trick out an early Schwinn girl's 26" eventually.

I love the Schwinn middleweights. I have six or seven in various states of disrepair. Those rear crash bars are great! That style would be great for a rat rod and fairly easy for one to make themself.

Yes, it would. But I really need a girl's frame.

Yeah, the crash bars... I can't wait to see how they clean up!

MALLARD44--------> email me. I may have you a 26'' ladies frame and forks for you. Dont have a pic but let me know if you are still looking! Thanks

Thanks dumpster_diver! I have emailed amd Sent you a PM.

I have started cleaning one of the crash rails. I am amazed at what beautiful chrome I have found under there!

keep er stock! that one is to far towards the "Complete" side to cut it up.

Find another one with less stock goodies and cut it up,not this one.

Just my 2 Cents.....( 1.75 cents Canadian ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi, Clothespin "n",

That was my original plan, but I know I need a girl's frame if I am going to be able to ride it. I am a very short female with arthritis.

I want to use the accessories on a bike I can use. I got into this project in the first place because I need transportation around my village.

I agree that it is a shame to remove some of the parts, but at this point I am not a collector, I just need wheels, and would like them to be cool. (((grin)))

I might be able to get the bulk of this bike into the hands of one of the collectors eventually. I too would like to see that it gets restored as much as possible.

Peg

Latest posts

Back