Pinstriping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know you can buy pinstripe tape from an auto store, or use some thin 3M tape to mask off and paint pinstripes but there's one thing I don't understand. How to you put the tape down on a curve and keep the edges straight?

I'm not sure but I think the tape stretches. I normally use that cheezy pinstripe stuff in a roll from Autozone and just use it for a mask I know it stretches a bit so it's easy to curve it around curves.

A few people measure from the sides however far in they want the tape and use paperclips or some way of designating those points like tape or whatever. Then they use that as guidelines to run the masking tape or striping tape.

Kind of hard to explain but you can hold the tape down with the index finger of your left hand pullout about 2"-3" of tape sighting your curve or edge and use the left finger to set the tape as you go going at the speed that you're comfortable with.

I have professionally striped cars for over 30 years. My WF I restored for my wife, I used masking tape to space the stripe. The original stripe wa 3/4"off the edge, so I taped tight againt the edge with 3/4 mask tape, then used 3M fineline againt the tape. It turned out perfect.
DSCI0435.jpg

DSCI0412.jpg

Latest posts

Back