playing around with a knockoff GoPro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After my adventure last weekend, I decided I should use the action camera my kids got me for Christmas more often. So I grabbed whatever bike was handy and shot some footage. I discovered that Windows 10 includes a halfway decent video editor, so I tried to do something interesting with it.

Quentin Tarantino I am not, but my 19-year-old said I made good use of his constructive criticism and improved it significantly from the first draft.

Who's got some good on-bike ride video? GoPro, helmet cam, cheap knockoff, phone strapped to your handlebars, whatever ya got...

I like the footage with the camera inside the cantilever frame, that's a good angle on the action
Not gonna lie, I stole the idea from a video I saw last week... someone mounted a camera at about that point on a BMX bike and took it around a pump track 😁

Very cool. I've been learning gopro lately and know how much work you put into it. I like the shots of the unrestored bike and love those filter switches at the end.

Oh yeah, the bike is restoration is awesome too!

Feel free to share lots more vids like that.

Thought I'd try to revive this thread seeing as where there are more cameras available. I grabbed a second tier Insta360 for $150 and affixed their extending pole to my frame with rubber bands. This is a few days before announcing covid, basically an unknowingly infected populous. I picked a wild year to record. *[warning: explicit lyrics, a comic homage to Times Square]

Show us what you've filmed in 360 since this thread went dead in 2019.

Last edited:
This is the Insta360 I'm using. Hopefully this'll explain, assuming you're referencing the how and not the why, @twojs.bike :happy: I don't recommend this brand since they started using GPS and comms ports in their devices but it is a cheap entry into 360 if you're looking to play. It comes with a simple but buggy editor which is how I move the camera's focus after shooting. The only thing I hacked was the ability to mount it a yard in front of me with some silicone or rubber bands for flex. Zip ties proved too rigid and produced jarring shakes that stabilization couldn't correct. They now make a motorcycle mount that was directly inspired by my unorthodox use of their device in this clip so you no longer need to craft one. (You can see the shadow of their "invisible" mount bouncing off the wall in that link). Night shots and resolutions have improved greatly and you can get them wet now but the price has skyrocket for this model since it's inception. I would however recommend acquiring a certified used one if you're into it and there must be other companies around competing for price by now.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what it is called, but can it create video that the viewer can control the view? Immersive video maybe?

Like in this link. I believe you have to open this in the actual YouTube app on a smartphone for it to work.

Yes indeedily. All those videos I've posted can be easily toggled within Vimeo's settings to enable the user's ability to zoom and scrub around the screen. I'd imagine that goes for any camera as the exported file is simply an MP4. I'd have to guess YouTube has similar 360 on/off toggles for your content. My movies are all just locked to my editing choices.. right now. They're like "easter eggs" for future viewers. I catch all sorts of candid moments in the peripheral. I could compile a compilation of the real New York amidst this turbulent era using strictly outtakes.

Last edited:
Dunno if this link will work, but one of the guys who occasionally rides with us has a 360 camera like that. The guy in the blue T-shirt riding the red-orange Fastback is holding a pole/stick with the camera on it:

Did I understand his explanation correctly? The way he put it, I thought that the software erases the stick that the camera is mounted on in post-production. In some shots you can see the shadow of the stick but not the stick itself.

Did I understand his explanation correctly? The way he put it, I thought that the software erases the stick that the camera is mounted on in post-production. In some shots you can see the shadow of the stick but not the stick itself.
Pretty much sums it up

Dunno if this link will work,

I couldn't view it but that's right. The stick is removed prior to post, in the camera though, so you couldn't even find it in the raw file. Pretty easy. My cam has a simple one button interface and funny enough, the hardest part for me to remember is one click for photos, two for video... but I @Ride 'em High. Makes for a lot of goofy fisheye selfies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back