Please Help ID Vintage Huffy #1779086 *Photos*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I hope you can help decode my 1960's?
"Huffy Sportsman". She is very clean & original.

I already tried this link, it didn't work.
http://oldroads.com/hf_sn.asp

Says "Made in England" all over it.
She is a 3 speed (missing cable & shifter).

Bike serial number is : 1779086

Huffy1_zps46002c81.jpg

Huffy2_zps2a560e10.jpg

I'm looking for all the info / data I can get on her.
Anybody have a shifter & cable for it? Whats she worth?

Thank you!

Is it a sturmey Archer hub or shimano? I have a shifter and cable if it's shimano.

~Ron~

It is a Sturmey-Archer. On the rear hub you can read the last two digits of the year it was made. Probably the bike is newer than that year.
I have some SA shifters and some new cables.
It is a 80-90$ bike in my area, but I can buy them for 30.
Anyway these 3 speed bikes are good bikes.

That red sticker just below the seat reads :

"City of Highland Park Michigan
Bicycle License 5-1-1965 ~ 4-30-1969"

Man, that bike looks untouched! I'll guess late 60's. Like he said above, the hub shell is the best way to check the year. It'll have a month and year stamped example "10 68" meaning Oct 1968. It's one of the English bikes made by the Raleigh factory in Nottingham, like Hercules, Phillips, etc. After 1960 they were all the same frames, with Raleigh frames made just a notch better. Montgomery Wards also imported those bikes. Sears had lightweights too, but they were made by Puch in Austria, almost the same thing. All of them are made to last, and many people use them as their transportation everyday, and they last for many years. Not much value on them here though.

Rear hub reads : 63 10

Does anyone know what the #1779086 means?
This number is stamped on the seat tube.

Oct 1963 was when the hub was made. So it is a late 1963 bike, or early 1964 when it was built. So far, I've never seen anything that decodes those serial numbers. I've Had a lot of those bikes over the years and could only get a good date off the hub.

Latest posts

Back