Possible bike hauler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been itching to build something besides a bike, so I have been thinking about a bike hauler I can take to car shows and just have fun with. Still have to go check it out in person but thinking of getting this, Its a 58 0r 59 Apache. not worried about the rusted doors there will be a good set thrown in the deal.

Very cool start of a project, my dad had a 59 Apache as his work truck 50 years ago!
It was bright orange and was an ex-US forestry truck.
I remember it was 2WD but had huge 19" snow tread tires all around and was louder than heck! We could hear him coming home long before we could see him!

A ton of work, but you can do it!

I bought a 57 Chevy PU when I was new to the Navy back in 82. It was originally a Washington State Forestry Dept. work truck (and originally Orange too) with a starter pedal on the floor.

The thing about vintage Chevys is everything interchanges.
My 84 Suburban was a 1/2 ton. Now it has a 1 ton rear axle, 3/4 ton front axle, engine and transmission from an 88 Chevy squad car.
Been thru 2 speedos so who knows how many miles on it. but it can sit for 6 months and fire right up!

A ton of work, but you can do it!

I bought a 57 Chevy PU when I was new to the Navy back in 82. It was originally a Washington State Forestry Dept. work truck (and originally Orange too) with a starter pedal on the floor.
Funny story about that starter pedal, My brother and I used to take "joyrides" around the yard with my dads 59, put it in granny gear and ran it around with the starter! What a tough truck!

The thing about vintage Chevys is everything interchanges.
My 84 Suburban was a 1/2 ton. Now it has a 1 ton rear axle, 3/4 ton front axle, engine and transmission from an 88 Chevy squad car.
Been thru 2 speedos so who knows how many miles on it. but it can sit for 6 months and fire right up!
Mine had the straight six, but like yours, it would fire right up after sitting for a long time. I would be at to sea for a month or two, come back and fire right up. Then I usually jumped off the other cars that were dead.

Now you are talking! Clear coat that exterior patina. Throw LED lights in all the sockets. Sandblast and rattle can the interior, buy seat covers and foam to redo the seats, buy a bed kit, and build a bike rack into. Get the drivetrain out of a 2005 + GM product and get 25+ mpg and look good doing it while sporting modern brakes.

- by Gigmata

If I decide to get it, I have 2 ideas for it.
1. paint the replacement doors to match the rest then steel wool and and clear coat it all.
OR
2. Paint the doors to match then paint it matte blue and steel wool it all then clear coat.
the dash will be scrubbed down then clear coated
If the frame is good I will just drop a 350 in it and add power steering and brakes.
if not I will find a full size to drop the body on.

Looking a pics of 59's on the web, found this...
iu

iu

ebay844975.jpg

ebay844980.jpg

Was listed for sale in 2014 @ $22,000
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=93952&country=us

Really like the look of trucks and cars that are on the ground. We put air bags on my daughters 99 VW last year (along with a bunch of other cool stuff) and we can almost touch the ground. Even with the frame notched and welded we are still up a tad....but it still looks cool. Gotta love a slammed vehicle!

I believe the one you are looking at is a 1959. I had a 59 longbed fleetside back in the day. Loved that thing!

awesome project I had a 58 apache(I think that was the year can' remember I get hit in the head a lot lol ) it was 4x4 and red and had the same rust on the doors but I traded it for a vw squareback:headbang:
but in my defense the squareback was all original and cherry and the apache did get restored. so it went to agood home last I knew it was used as a vw parts hauler/shop truck and was babied.

So Im still working on getting this, may end up waiting till spring, but may start building something that will look sweet in the back of this. My dad that Im working on starting a relationship with has a miss matched Harley he has in his shop. And he wants us to work on it together to grow our relationship. The bike just build it cool and piss the purest off.

Good luck with the truck.

Best of luck to you with your dad. Mine wasn't home much as a kid, then I ended up taking care of him in the end. Sure there was and still is some spite there, and it was difficult, but after everything we became friends. Even found a little common ground.

Sounds like you have something to start with, good luck with that too.
If it all works out, and I hope it does, show some progress pics of the build.

Wishing you nothing but the best.

~ Jim

Latest posts

Back