POWDER COATING OVER CHROME RIMS?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew someone years ago say, powder coating is so tough you can't hardly chip it off with a hammer. So my question is, can you powder coat a chrome rim, and use a rim brake on it? Even if you roughed up the chrome to give it some tooth for the powder coating to grab onto, could it ever hold up to a rim brake? O.C.C. used to do it all the time on motorcycle rims, so it must stick pretty well. Thanks for any comments.

I don't think it would last very long because my fixie has NMSW deep v's and after I used the brake a few times the powder coating started wear away and I could see the bare aluminum rim.

Quanah said:
I knew someone years ago say, powder coating is so tough you can't hardly chip it off with a hammer. So my question is, can you powder coat a chrome rim, and use a rim brake on it? Even if you roughed up the chrome to give it some tooth for the powder coating to grab onto, could it ever hold up to a rim brake? O.C.C. used to do it all the time on motorcycle rims, so it must stick pretty well. Thanks for any comments.
It's not that tough, not even close. Bring your powder coated frame here and I'll show you.

GodHatesCleveland said:
Quanah said:
It's not that tough, not even close. Bring your powder coated frame here and I'll show you.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind! :roll:

I've had chromed motorcycle rims powder coated, and they seem to stand up pretty well to the usual chain lube/bug splatter/road debris nicks and dings. Not sure if they'd offer all that great a surface for braking.

But then again, taking a bicycle rim, polishing it mirror-smooth, plating it with a hard substance like chromium, then expecting it to do braking duty is an absurd idea at best. Almost as bad as trying to make brakes out of wet ice and kiln-dried oak...

I don't think powder coatng has any chance of standing up to braking. It certainly looks better and is tougher than rattle can paint jobs, but chrome is always going to be the strongest.

Dan

Thanks for the replies, I didn't really think that it would work too well, just thought I would throw the question out to see what others opinions were. Don't think I'll try it just to find out if it will stick. The only reason it even entered my mind is that I saw them,(OCC), do it on rims often on American Chopper.

Ill tell you that powder coating can stand up to a shot with a hammer. I just got my Schwinn Stingray Powder coated. I asked the guy how strong is this powder coating compared to a paint job... Guess what he did! He walked me over to my NEWLY POWDER COATED 1973 SCHWINN STINGRAY FENDERLESS 5 SPEED and proceeded to hit it with a hammer! I thought I was going to puke in my mouth right on the spot :x . He then said, "does that tell you anything"? So there you have it... extremely strong, durable and "hammer proof" so to speak!

wow. thats crazy. it didnt even dent it or scratch it?

Good thing it wasn't an aluminum road frame huh? I would really like to coat these rims red and do the wide white wall thing on my black Schwinn 24'' Sting Ray, but if the brakes started rubbing the P.C.off, it would really look cheesy. Man am I confused. If I had an old electric oven,(and a compressor), I could powder coat them myself... lets see,a free oven from craigslist, (freebies), could build a compressor. Startin' to look like a plan!
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... itemID=458
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade_AirCompressor/

i feel like puking just thinking about it.. what color did you have him power-coat it?(yes, power, cuz its so strong. :lol: )

Schwinn Red Powder Coat "after Hammer":
IMG_7965.jpg

Latest posts

Back