Prewar chain tensioners

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OK, new to the prewar thing, just got my first Elgin frame and klunking it out. My question is what's the purpose of the chain tensioners in the rear dropout? I ask because the one is bent and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it out to get the frame powdercoated. Can I remove the tensioners and use the rear dropouts without them in place or are they neccessary? Sorry for the noob question, but thanks in advance!

they prevent the axle from slipping forward in the dropouts when you really crank on it.

i find good old serrated washers work fine.

and i do mean 'old'- the nice ones from a bendix, morrow, old school bmx, etc.

not those pathetic little things they put on bikes nowadays...:wink:

Couldn't I just move the wheel forward enough to rest against the dropout so there is no chance of the axle moving?

you would be pretty lucky to end up with the right chain tension doing that ... and if you get a flat tire , you would need a chain tool to open the chain for it to get of the sprocket and allow you to get the wheel out of the drop-outs

They make to easier to install the wheel in alignment and with proper chain slack, but the bike will work without them. Master link the chain for easy maintenance on these types of frame. :|

Latest posts

Back