Prewar mystery frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can anyone tell me what year it is? Who made it? What's it worth? I can tell that the headbadge might have been Hawthorne and the serial number is F54402 It has a strangely small seat post hole. It probably had a Wards Hawthorne headbadge. Brazed?

I am no expert, but this is what I believe. You called the shape of the badge correctly as being a Hawthorne. The tangs ((dropstand stoppers) on the frame indicate prewar. I'd say that judging from the F and the serial number, that this bike was manufactured around March or April 1940. It is my understanding that letters were changed at each run of 100,000. Higgins chainring. Not willing to guess on the fork.

Last edited:
I am no expert, but this is what I believe. You called the shape of the badge correctly as being a Hawthorne. The tangs ((dropstand stoppers) on the frame indicate prewar. I'd say that judging from the F and the serial number, that this bike was manufactured around March or April 1940. It is my understanding that letters were changed at each run of 100,000. Higgins chainring. Not willing to guess on the fork.
I found the fork and sprocket in a dumpster, I just threw them on there so I could mock it up in various ways.

The seat post would be solid 5/8" stock, probably a "lucky 7" (bent) type.

To the OP

Just go pick up some 5/8" solid stock and cut, heat , bend. I got a 3' piece from orchard supply for under $10, cut it into 3 pieces, heated with a torch, bend, clean and done. Two for my bikes and turned around selling the third for $7 or so and made most of my money back.

Latest posts

Back