Pro Touring '62 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been dreaming of putting this bike together to better keep up with my wife's 700C Specialized, and this Build Off is the perfect catalyst to settle down and do it.

Found at a swap meet, this 1962 double straight bar beauty was evidently yard art at one point. Its the only bike I've disassembled with a cutoff wheel. :)

Its a pretty blank slate. Immediate thoughts are:
Aluminum 700C wheels
Cantilever brakes front and rear
Gears in the back, single sprocket in front
BMX-style handle bars of some sort
Paint
Modern seat
MAYBE a 3-piece crank if I get the courage

The basic idea is modern stuff on an old bike (original, right?) sort of like a pro touring muscle car.

Anyway, I'm excited to be back in competition, my first and last Build Off entry was the 2017 MBBO with a gender-bent 24" Schwinn that is still my favorite bike to this day.
20201004_114338.jpg
20201004_124109.jpg
20201004_124128.jpg
20201004_124122.jpg
20201004_124115.jpg

Welcome back to the build off fun, @383Camino ! And by the looks of our weather up here, we are really going to be in a 'Winter' build off for us northern state folks. ( I'm in MN, Twin Cities area)

That frame is going to be perfect for the modifications you talked about! I like it all. RaT oN~!

I like the black spokes and hubs on those wheels. You might want to consider pulling the cups and the headset too as they will be fit to the fork well. The 3-piece bottom bracket could also be used with a BB adapter kit. Easy to install, and make for a nice smooth drive train.
309293784_1120621685515934_2433453202355872284_n.jpg

Great idea. Your new fork is a big improvement. This bike is looking great with the skinny wheels and new fork. I know Schwinn changed the inner workings of the kickstand at some point in the 60's or so but maybe a 27" Varsity/Continental kickstand will work. Otherwise one of these after market stands works just fine without having to do something with the present kickstand pipe.
IMG_1702.jpg

That's a red band two speed hub it came with. Nice! Those frames were considered middleweight, so the skinny tires look good on there. Brakes may be a hassle fitting on the rear. I made a simple bracket to mount calipers to different frames when they wouldn't reach or were too long. Just two plates bolted together between the seat stays.
brake extension.jpg

You could also lace the two speed hub (if it's any good) to the 700 rim and have a coaster brake with two speeds.
Or have mounts for the V brakes tacked on the frame.

I've been dreaming of putting this bike together to better keep up with my wife's 700C Specialized, and this Build Off is the perfect catalyst to settle down and do it.

Found at a swap meet, this 1962 double straight bar beauty was evidently yard art at one point. Its the only bike I've disassembled with a cutoff wheel. :)

Its a pretty blank slate. Immediate thoughts are:
Aluminum 700C wheels
Cantilever brakes front and rear
Gears in the back, single sprocket in front
BMX-style handle bars of some sort
Paint
Modern seat
MAYBE a 3-piece crank if I get the courage

The basic idea is modern stuff on an old bike (original, right?) sort of like a pro touring muscle car.

Anyway, I'm excited to be back in competition, my first and last Build Off entry was the 2017 MBBO with a gender-bent 24" Schwinn that is still my favorite bike to this day.View attachment 213006View attachment 213007View attachment 213009View attachment 213008View attachment 213005
Love it….. that’s basically my builds in a nutshell. I love the retro patina mixed with modern or new components.

I‘d like to try the 3 piece crank conversion. The parts are abundant and there’s a bunch of videos on YouTube that make it look super easy.

I typically just do modern wheels and tires and redo the BB, bearings, crank, chain, pedals etc. maybe freshen up the brakes.

Ive done a couple of tank bikes and stuck a sturmy archer rear wheel and 3 speed on it and bolted on a big box front fork so I have some brakes. Super easy, tank bike with gears.

for the summer build off I’m thinking of doing a very similar build and putting a rear derailleur and 5 speed cluster on a 33 Rollfast frame…. Definitely pushing my skill set and tools.

can’t wait to see your build!!!!

Last edited:
Epic patina on that bike….. is that a clear coat on there or BLO?
I was actually sanding it down to both find out what the original color was and prep it for paint then I got to a certain point and stopped when my hands hurt then looked at it in the daylight the next day and didn't have the heart to paint it. It just looked like the battle worn bike that it is so I sprayed it with 3 coats of Rust-Oleum gloss clear enamel. I use Duplicolor engine enamel now as it is more durable.

Here's the link to the build if you want to see it.

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/ratornado-done.74927/

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/ratornado-tank-fab.74546/page-6

Last edited:
Love it….. that’s basically my builds in a nutshell. I love the retro patina mixed with modern or new components.

I‘d like to try the 3 piece crank conversion. The parts are abundant and there’s a bunch of videos on YouTube that make it look super easy.

I typically just do modern wheels and tires and redo the BB, bearings, crank, chain, pedals etc. maybe freshen up the brakes.

Ive done a couple of tank bikes and stuck a sturmy archer rear wheel and 3 speed on it and bolted on a big box front fork so I have some brakes. Super easy, tank bike with gears.

for the summer build off I’m thinking of doing a very similar build and putting a rear derailleur and 5 speed cluster on a 33 Rollfast frame…. Definitely pushing my skill set and tools.

can’t wait to see your build!!!!
Thank you for the kind words! I’ve never done a 3-piece either, but the promise of less weight and smoother operation is winning me over.

Latest posts

Back