PROJECT QUICK CHANGE - SUBJECT: Schwinn Dixie. CURRENT BUILD: Muscle Bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, since I decided to put Poison Apple on hold until I can save up the funds to do it right, I've decided to fix up the very bike that got me into this hobby all the way back in March of 2018, my 1950/1951 Schwinn DX bike, PROJECT QUICK CHANGE - SUBJECT: Schwinn Dixie.
BFtD_Schwinn_Dixie.jpg

I won this bike at an auction for $65, and since then, I've been working on this bike on and off for over 2 years. I got this idea in my head early on that I would change this DX frame's appearance by swapping parts whenever I got bored with how it looked or rode. I was loosely inspired by the quick-change rear ends racers use on their cars to change how their cars drive, and by an old act of the same name I once saw on America's Got Talent where these people would quickly change their wardrobe and even their hair, hence the first half of this bike's name. Schwinn Dixie was just a quirky play on Schwinn DX and Winn Dixie, because why not? I gradually accumulated a stash of various forks, fenders, chain guards, wheels, you name it, all for this bike. Though I've never gotten this bike in a finished, functional state, I eventually come back to it and mock up different parts to see what direction I want to take it.
BFtD_Thunderwood.jpg
BFtD_british_racing_green.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie1.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_&_The_Old_West.jpg
BFtD_Reg_Irreg.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie2.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_121720_3.jpg

Now to the main reason why I'm posting Schwinn Dixie here; I've been spending all this time mocking up or modifying parts to fit this Schwinn, but not once have I finished the assembly of this bike. It has never had the chain on it since I got it, so this Muscle Bike Build Off seems like the perfect excuse to get this bike riding again. A few months back, I mocked up these parts to see what this old Schwinn would look like as a muscle bike. I like the general stance of it, but now that I've not using the 26" springer fork on Poison Apple, I'd like to use it on this project. The nice thing about putting this bike together is that even though I have less than a month to finish it, it doesn't need a lot to make it happen. I don't really need to get any parts for this, but I would like to install a Shimano 3-speed coaster brake hub into one of my wheels so I can use my little Shimano click-shifter pictured below. I also want to sandblast the frame to get rid of the rust, and shine it up and clear it similarly to my RRBBO entry from earlier this year, Dumpster Diamond. Other than that, I mostly just want to assemble it similarly to how it's pictured below.
BFtD_Schwinn_Dixie_got_muscle1.jpg

I'll try mocking it back up with all the parts I plan to use tomorrow.

Last edited:
First off, sorry for the poor quality pictures. I didn't give myself enough time to mockup everything before the sun went down, but I did mockup Schwinn Dixie regardless.

When I mounted one of my skinny wheels to the springer fork, I found that I could not position the axle one bolt hole ahead of the fork braces, as the bolt would hit the spokes if I kept the inside washer on, and barely clear it by a millimeter without the washer.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_1.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_2.jpg

By moving the wheel axle forward one bolt hole, I was able to mount everything with room to spare. However, when I get these extensions redesigned, I might move the wheel axle halfway between the the two left-most bolt holes.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_3.jpg

I know it's not the best photo, but here's the general direction I'm going with this bike. Most of what's on the bike right now will be what I use in the end, including the tires on the wheels.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_4.jpg

I won't use the same front wheel, as I have a better one to mount the front tire on. I'm going to try my best to shine up all the chrome parts, but I might be sandblasting and painting the rear fender and sissy bar, as they're pretty rough.

While I've pretty much figured out the final build of this bike, what I'm still trying to figure out is the paint scheme. The only parts that will be painted on this bike are the chain guard, the fender, maybe the fork extensions, and a tank if I can make one in time. I'd also like to reupholster the seat to match the painted parts if I can figure out how to do that before the deadline. I've got a few ideas, but I've yet to make a decision. I know I don't want this to be a bare metal and black bike (yet,) as I already did that with my last Build Off bike.

Again, sorry for the lackluster pictures. I'll try to shoot some better ones with my Nikon tomorrow when there's daylight outside.

Do you remember how kingfish254 used a sleeve from a thrift store leather jacket to recover his nanner in this summer's build off? That was the easiest upholstery I ever saw, it was basically cut to shape already, with a stripe on it for no extra effort!

Do you remember how kingfish254 used a sleeve from a thrift store leather jacket to recover his nanner in this summer's build off? That was the easiest upholstery I ever saw, it was basically cut to shape already, with a stripe on it for no extra effort!
I do! I thought that was brilliant, and the end result turned out awesome!

To make up for the few low-quality pictures from last night, today I'll be posting tons of high-quality pictures. So, let's get right to it!

BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_5.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_19.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_6.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_17.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_18.jpg

For those of you wanting to know what tires I've currently got on this bike: a 26"x1 3/8" Bell Streetser up front, and a dry-rotted 26"x2.125" W.T.C. SUP-R-TIRE in the rear.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_10.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_11.jpg

Back when I was gathering parts for Project Quick Change, I acquired a stash of parts and frames that included an entire box full of kickstands. While the majority of them all looked about the same, this Lenton adjustable kickstand stood out and instantly became my favorite kickstand out of the lot. It's chrome plated, it's adjustable, and it makes a satisfying *click* when it locks into either position. I have no idea how old it is, but it's different, and I like different.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_13.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_14.jpg

The rear fender is from a later-model Schwinn Heavy-Duti bike. It's already been modified a bit to fit this bike, but I want to see if my welder can shorten it up behind the seat stays so the ducktail sits almost directly underneath the seat, and lengthen it ahead of the seat stay so the original fender mounting hole lines up with the fender mount on the frame, so I don't have to use this adapter I had put together. The wheel came from the same guy I bought The Trashliner Trike from, hence the green spray paint spots all over the wheel.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_7.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_15.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_16.jpg

Got this Shimano 3-speed Click-Stick shifter at a bicycle swap meet in Kansas City last year.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_8.jpg

BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_9.jpg

The pedals are from a 1970s Schwinn Suburban girls' bike that I scavenged for parts.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_12.jpg

No idea what bike this chain guard's from, but I can at least guess it's from a Schwinn since it bolts one without any issues.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_20.jpg

The seat's from the '79 Schwinn Fair Lady that I was working on turning into Poison Apple.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_21.jpg

I switched to a slightly wider pair of ape hangers as the one's I had on just looked a little too narrow for this bike. I also tried mocking up my Mattel V-RROOM! motor and a speedometer I got at a swap meet last year. I'm not going to use either on this bike, as the motor's cord is frayed and just barely too short to fit on this bike with the ape hangers, and the speedometer has a cap that is busted and needs replacing. Also, it just ended up looking too cluttered for my tastes.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_22.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_23.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_24.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_25.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_26.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_27.jpg

I took off the toy motor and the speedometer, but left the other handlebars on. Much better, but there's still missing something, and not just a tank...
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_34.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_35.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_36.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_37.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_38.jpg

I have a few fence post toppers I've been wanting to use as headlights/taillights or reflector housings for a while now. I had Dad help me mock these up. I'm not sure if I'll use these right now, but I'll definitely want to use them at some point.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_28.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_29.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_30.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_31.jpg

I'm also thinking of using these old steel toes as "vents" on my tank. Not sure how I'll mount them yet, but I think they'd look cool.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_32.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_33.jpg

There's still a few things left to figure out, particularly colors, but I feel pretty confident I've got the general look of this bike figured out. Feel free to let me know what you think of everything so far! More progress coming soon!

Ok, for the sake of saving me a little time and effort, I'm going to just try and find a banana seat that looks the way I want, instead of trying to learn how to reupholster the one from the Schwinn Fair Lady when I don't know the first thing about upholstery.

I do have a bit of progress to report: I've decided on the colors I want to use for this build. I don't know what sort of paint scheme I'm going for, but I at least have the colors picked out. I also got some thin masking tape for pinstriping. I'll share pictures of the paint colors tomorrow when I have better light. I probably won't have much more progress to report after tomorrow until after Christmas, as it's getting pretty busy at home.

Did some Christmas shopping yesterday, both for my family and for me. I hadn't really figured out what color I was going to paint the fender, tank, and chain guard at that point, but I was kind of leaning toward the faded blue and gold look, based on this Mod Rod Hot Wheels car (pictured left.) That changed when I saw this metallic blue 1970 Charger Hot Wheels car (pictured left.)
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_39.jpg

I liked how the white, gold and orange stripes looked against the blue, and I knew I'd seen a similar metallic cobalt blue spray paint at Walmart.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_40.jpg

I ended up getting all my paint at Lowe's, though, since they're the only one who carries a satin clear coat, which I need for the frame. I couldn't find an orange I liked, and I didn't care for the light blue stripe on the toy Charger, so for accents, I got some metallic gold and silver, some gloss white, and this brilliant "gloss jungle green" Krylon paint, which I almost thought about using as the primary color for this build.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_41.jpg

I got 2 cans of primer, one can of crystal clear coat, and once can of satin clear.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_42.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_43.jpg

I've currently got my shifter, pictured top, soaking in some hydrogen peroxide so it turns white again. I'm also revising my digital mockup of the bike so I can figure out the paint scheme for this bike. I'll try working on more for this bike today, but with Christmas just around the corner, I've got other things to do. Either way, you'll be the first to know if there's any news on my build.

Thought of using that stuff to make yellowed AF1 kicks bright again.

All them cans in a line remind me of painting something else:giggle:

My cars are all gone:cry:
I'll be sure to let you know how it works. It's already soaked for an hour, and while there are a lot of bubbles, I'm not seeing the yellow turn white yet. I'm going to check on it again after sun sets and see how it looks then.

What kind of stuff did you paint?

Cool. Got any photos?
Might be a few burners on slides around. Lost most of my childhood stuff up to 2005.

Me in red, SoHo NYC mid 70s'. Selling drawings. You'd like my stuff, lots of fantasy cars. I drew Bigfoot moments before it existed. Oh snap, just noticed the green OG Nerf football!
Me SoHo 1970's.jpg

Twin towers in the background. Was midtown with my brother during the 9/11 attack.

Might be a few burners on slides around. Lost most of my childhood stuff up to 2005.

Me in red, SoHo NYC mid 70s'. Selling drawings. You'd like my stuff, lots of fantasy cars. I drew Bigfoot moments before it existed. Oh snap, just noticed the green OG Nerf football!
View attachment 147258

Twin towers in the background. Was midtown with my brother during the 9/11 attack.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Okay, so hydrogen peroxide apparently doesn't whiten a yellowed Shimano 3-speed shifter. Anyone know what will work?
Also, does anyone know how to take one of these apart?
I sand then polish. I use some old polish with no name, just says for plastic. Could paint the cover I assume.

Pry off the center 3 speed cap to access the screw. Be VERY careful not to lose the small thin washers while taking apart. There's also a 3/16'' ball bearing. If you get stuck I can help:thumbsup:
Never found a diagram for these shifters.

Last edited:
I sand then polish. I use some old polish with no name, just says for plastic. Could paint the cover I assume.

Pry off the center 3 speed cap to access the screw. Be VERY careful not to lose the small thin washers while taking apart. There's also a 3/16'' ball bearing. If you get stuck I can help:thumbsup:
Never found a diagram for these shifters.
Awesome, thanks! I had no idea that you could take the cap off, but it came off just fine! If I can't get the plastic to turn white, I may just paint over it.

Just make sure you don't lose the special spacer washers or to will not work good anymore. It's a fine size that's hard to find and reproduce. You've been warned. There are a couple or more of them so look carefully. Shouldn't matter if you mess up the order for the smallest washer set, but do try to put it back the way it came apart.

Good luck... I'll be around.

Just make sure you don't lose the special spacer washers or to will not work good anymore. It's a fine size that's hard to find and reproduce. You've been warned. There are a couple or more of them so look carefully. Shouldn't matter if you mess up the order for the smallest washer set, but do try to put it back the way it came apart.

Good luck... I'll be around.
Thanks, will do.

Latest posts

Back