Putting a chain back together...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wondering, when refurbishing a bike, when you take the chain apart to remove it, do you use the chain tool to push the pin out just enough to get the chain apart, then use the tool to push it back in? Or do you remove it completely and use a master link? Any safety issues to pushing the original pin back in? Seems like it works, but thought I'd ask. Seems like it would especially be an issue on skip tooth chains where a master link of the correct size may not be readily available.

I usually just push the pin out, separate the chain, and use the tool to push the pin back in. Sometimes it binds a little but can be worked a few times to get it moving correctly.

I just push the pin out enough to get the chain apart, since my vision is not real good & I have 5 thumbs per hand, I try not to use Wildcats method. :lol: :lol: Seriously, it's not that hard to get it back together if the pin does come all the way out. If you are worried about it, grab a junk chain & try it out. I don't have a problem with master links either. Another thing that may come in handy if you are having trouble getting the chain adjusted (take out a link & it's too short, or an extra link makes it too long) you can get half links, they have saved me a few times!

pick said:
I just push the pin out enough to get the chain apart, since my vision is not real good & I have 5 thumbs per hand, I try not to use Wildcats method. :lol: :lol: Seriously, it's not that hard to get it back together if the pin does come all the way out. If you are worried about it, grab a junk chain & try it out.

Bingo! +1

A chain put together with a chain tool is just as strong as it was.
You might find that a skiptooth chain won't fit in your chain break.
That little part will stop it from working. Some people use a punch the pin size.

All of the above,as the situation calls for,and one more. This is more of a last chance approach when all else fails.Keeping in mind that the pins are a press fit into the side plates,and that tight fit is what holds the links together.So they have to go in at a 90 angle to not enlarge the hole. I had a situation with the 2 unconnected ends of the chain and 4 seperated pieces of link ( 2 pins & 2 plates,no master link ). I was able to hold everything in alignment in the chain tool,but getting the loose pins started would slip. So using a needle nose vice-grip plier,while holding everthing in the alignment tool, I was able to squeeze the pin as far as the opposite plate.Then use the chain tool to push the pins the rest of the way through the side plates and adjust free movement.

Latest posts

Back