Quad Bike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a win with the air filter, couldn't wait 4weeks for a Chinese delivery from ebay so I headed up to the local hardware store and got a small elbow for a stormwater pipe, 32mm inlet and married it to a PVC thick collar off a completely different product line and purpose, 60mm the two parts fit together well and are epoxy glued so they never break and sealed well.
PXL_20230521_022631795.jpg

so today the filter adapter has dried, I then threw a couple coats of ....Yep, "hammertone Blue"
I keyed the joining surfaces with 80g sand paper to get some good grip, then made a small amount of epoxy glue, which due to the cold weather is very thick n pastey, it dosnt run at all so it creates a good seal and dries rock hard! from this the pod air filter clamps on!
The fabulous "Pool Noodle" had a bit cut off it today, They not only save lives and keep us from sinking but it can hold things in the most awkward positions!
PXL_20230522_014825164.jpg

Attention now turns to the clutch and chain guards. Ive used part of the nose cone wing that was cut off, flipped it and married it to the original chain guard off the quad, while being extremely soft and flexible the glass join was grafted on and has taken to it really well. I used the original nose cone brackets with their threaded holes for the new guards attachment. wasnt too hard to get everything to bend and fit. Keeping with the flow of things I covered the whole assembly with carbon! its by no means the finished product but you'll get the drift.
PXL_20230523_011005198.jpg

heres the original brackets I cut up this morning.
PXL_20230522_224327766.jpg

And trhe very last piece of the puzzle has arrived, the filter and pet ....! Turns out I dont even need the pet .... , the motor already has one on it ... its called a "fuel Off/On" Tap... Grrrrrr could of saved myself a whopping $7 LOL
PXL_20230523_011121544.jpg

And the Air filter looks the part now! Ive retained the original airbox but removed the huge square filter section, cut off the long verticle bolt that you screw the wing nut onto and then epoxied the adapter to the top of the airbox, came out great! there will be a better airflow into the box now but theres still the narrow section of the box assembly itself but in the end weve allowed a more free flow of air into it!
im a bit annoyed the projects taken a bit longer than anticipated .... the nice shiny exhaust I made has now surface rusted, ..Oh well nothing a couple hrs of elbow work and polish wont fix!
PXL_20230522_222337236.jpg
PXL_20230522_222512835.jpg

Painting stage, All brackets and a couple fiddly bits get the favourite accented color.
Tomorrow once dried I'll cover them and spray the chassis, same deal, the next day paint the top half
PXL_20230526_004745969.jpg

Sweet drift bike! Are you going to do an action video? One of these would be a blast but there's no where to ride one around here. Maybe that's a good thing. 🤪

Sweet drift bike! Are you going to do an action video? One of these would be a blast but there's no where to ride one around here. Maybe that's a good thing. 🤪
Always have a video., We too cannot ride these on the road, as with the hot wheels drifter, half the fun is driving around early on a sunday morning in industrial estates to find a suitable bit of road, we have a good place 5 mins from home, but in reality we can only ride it for 10-15 minutes max before someone eventually see's us and reports it to the cops. we then pack it all back on the truck and head off for mcdonalds for brekkie!

IM planning a carbon frame of some sort on something at some stage. bike...drifter.....but when I do i'll need brackets and things and I had a few carbon scraps lying about the shed, I gathered them all and began to make a solid bar of carbon to make .....something!
I started by making a simple form, just 2 bits of wood taped to a board, this is to give me a flat bar mould of 1-1/4" by 6-9mm, ,
then I used grease proof cooking paper to line the bottom of the mould and proceeded to fill the void with scraps of carbon layering resin between.
Then I fold the cooking paper over the top , the paper is used coz the epoxy resin dosnt stick to it and it comes away easily! I do this to seal it all up, resin will come out the end of the mould but thats cool coz I need a bit to run out as overnight I place a length of thick foam and a 10kg plate on top to compress it all while the resin gos off.
Untitled-1.png
PXL_20230528_052618840.jpg

So because we have an ungodly low temp of 9.c over night and about 22.c during the day (coldest for the year) the epoxy resin takes forever to cure, you cannot under any circumstances use more hardener to speed cure with epoxy , what happens is the mix is now diluted with hardener more than resin and is brittle.
so after 3 whopping days this is the result, its still not cured fully but is hard as anything on earth!
this can be used for small motor mounting brackets, holding something heavy, they'll eventually be cut to size and drilled and grafted into their new positions..... when I decide what im building!.... its rough but its an experiment!, The Blue meanie requires a new rear end, im contemplating a carbon / steel hybrid.... something!
New Bar.jpg

Drift trikes, Downhill skating, Luge racing, and such are pretty much an outlaw thing here as well. Fortunately there are some deserted places people can go.

I’m too old for the downhill scene.

Sorry its been a while but I got tied up with work, a bit of drama, family visits etc etc, so life got in the way but I did get to finish the machine!
Overall im absolutely flabergasted that ive created this thing! its come out looking like its been made in a factory and sold from a dealership!
The impending owner is over the moon but cant buy it just yet as his cars blown the coils and a couple other things (Nissan S13 silvia track/drift car) so thats all good coz im enjoying testing this and sliding around.
Performance wise its been a real surprise! ive made my own long exhaust to a big straight through motorcross type muffler, this seems to generate a bit of extractor type exhaust flow which helps greatly and the air filter mods actually allow a ton more air into the box. all in all I honestly think weve gone from a mediocre 7HP to a mind blowing neck snapping 8.5HP , I know I know its the smallest increase but the machine only weighs 60kg, its a good 10kg heavier than the craft the motor came out of but seems to have way more snap to it, gets to the governed max rpm (3600) a lot quicker than it did on the other machine,, this is a huge surprise because ive managed to get a good increase in performance but have still got the govener installed on this motor!
but really I still cant believe ive made this!
PXL_20230604_024029988.jpg

PXL_20230604_024447055.jpg
PXL_20230608_045612874.jpg
PXL_20230608_050522401.jpg
PXL_20230608_050917044.jpg

I took the opportunity to do some photo shopping and make up the customers favourite number for the front plate, came out quite good, I put a red glow from behind the 6's... and yes thats his favourite number (heavy metal lover too).. I showed him this pic and he almost fell over with Glee!
I always said its gonna be $1k -$1.1K. but its blown out to $1250. only coz its got my big wheels off the drift trike so they gotta be replaced! to me its worth $2500 and up, its a specially built illegal toy and has the looks and performance to boot, lets not forget all plastics on this arnt crabon wrapped, thats actually real carbom fiber used all over so he really does get something unique and special, like I said my best work ever on anything has gone into this so im not too worried if he dosnt buy it at all! and that front number plate is pure carbon, I dont think I recall seeing that on many machines of any kind in the world!
Thanks to all who followed this and yes there will be a ride video coming very soon!
Plate n Number.png

Attachments

• PXL_20230608_045406162.jpg
    PXL_20230608_045406162.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back