Question for those who are running Mooneyes Moon Discs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if Mooneyes can give you the dish measurements of their front and back discs?
If I remember right, I think one of the rear discs has the same dish as the front discs, but the drive side rear dish is either flatter or deeper (can't remember which). The drive side rear also has a bigger center hole if I remember right.

I wonder if Mooneyes can give you the dish measurements of their front and back discs?
If I remember right, I think one of the rear discs has the same dish as the front discs, but the drive side rear dish is either flatter or deeper (can't remember which). The drive side rear also has a bigger center hole if I remember right.
I emailed them:

Dish on front disc is 1"
Dish on rear disc is 3/4"

I asked what was the widest width that the discs would fit, but got no info on that. Maybe longer binder screws would solve that problem? Or drill several holes in the lip by the red line, them drill & tap the rim wall.

From the Mooneye site: Actual disc size measures 22.5" overall mounted inside the rim. I wonder if the 22.5" at the red line or the yellow line in the picture below. So depending which it is, maybe 22.5" or 23" (if these are available sizes) pizza pans may be converted to discs?

Sure it's a lot of overthinking, but at $98 a pop for the Moon Discs, I'd rather be sure.

1.jpg

One ought to be able to take some measurements to determine the position of the hub flanges relative to the bike's centerline. Subtract one-half the rim width from that value to determine the 'dish' required from the disc's edge to its center.

BTW, spoke dish is typically more shallow on the drive-side, rather than the non-drive side, but that is mostly for multi-speed bikes with a gear cluster. On a single-speed or IGH wheel, I'm betting the difference side-to-side is negligible.

The BSD of an ISO 559 tire is 22 inches, so 22.5 is almost certainly overlap at the red indicator on your photo. I've never worked with Moon discs before, but I have thought about the pizza pan alternative. I would have pulled the trigger on that project already, if only my local restaurant supply house kept 22-inch aluminum pans in stock.

Chicago screws (aka sex bolts) can be had in varying lengths to compensate for your rim width. Don't bother asking--I have no idea why they are called that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back