Question on fenders I can use

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife's Columbia has the old style brakes on it and is fenderless at this point.

I would like to put some fenders on it, but the only ones I have on hand are some chrome ones that came off of a cruiser style bike.

When I try putting them on her bike they go under the cross bar or the front fork mount that holds the brakes, and those things are so low it pushes the fenders down so far that they are almost sitting on top of the tires and there is zero clearance.

So I'm wondering if there are any type of fenders made specifically for bikes with that style of brakes on them, or if I will have to resort to something different - shorty fenders maybe - or maybe even cutting a slice out of the fenders where that cross bar hits them so that they can come up higher.

If you have any ideas or have run into this yourself, let me know. Thanks.

Here's a shot of her bike ..

DSCN0139.jpg

I would first look at the size of the fender there are essentially three (traditional) sizes for fenders:
Lightweight= tires sized at less than 1.25 in
Medium weight = 1.25" to 2.25"
Heavyweight (or "Balloon") from 2.25 to 3"
When using caliper brakes though, I have often seen that the manufacturer will crimp or bend inward the area directly affected by the caliper brake to allow the parts to function properly...perhaps some judicious use of pliers and a steady hand could solve whatever problem that fender size will not?....

Platobiker said:
I would first look at the size of the fender there are essentially three (traditional) sizes for fenders:
Lightweight= tires sized at less than 1.25 in
Medium weight = 1.25" to 2.25"
Heavyweight (or "Balloon") from 2.25 to 3"
When using caliper brakes though, I have often seen that the manufacturer will crimp or bend inward the area directly affected by the caliper brake to allow the parts to function properly...perhaps some judicious use of pliers and a steady hand could solve whatever problem that fender size will not?....
Useful info but maybe a little late for this case.

Latest posts

Back