Race Inc hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone on here know what hubs Race Inc used on their latest release of thier RA29 bike? They threw their name on them, but I don't think they make hubs now a days. I could be mistaken and have just got back into building and ridng agian a few years back. I have asked them directly a couple of times through IG but they refuse to answer. Their customer service with this bike purchase was horrible and I let them know it when I had the issue with their rear drop outs and the problem with the rim not staying in place even with the adapters they supplied. Any help on this would be appreciated, I am just curious on what brand they used.

Attachments

• Race Inc Hub.jpg
    Race Inc Hub.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
their latest release of thier RA29 bike?

complete retro bikes
I think he's talking about a new bike, not retro. From the article I linked:
"Some Box components, such as brakes and seatposts, are spec'd on ABC's Race Inc. Retro bikes, with more Box parts to be spec'd on Race Inc. BMX racing bikes later this year. ABC's Cook Bros. Racing also will offer co-branded hubs and brakes with Box."
So they're claiming to use the Box hubs on new builds, but don't specifically mention the Race Inc hubs

...on Race Inc BMX 'racing bikes'.

@armandog is referring to his RA-29 retro bike. The Cook Bros comment referred to components (that is all that it sold under CBR so far) and states they will be co-branded.

Toby H., in interviews, has made it clear that although he felt the need to expand his current business (BOX) beyond just racing components that he wasn't going to dilute his brands or step on industry toes like he did previously (T.H.E., Intense, Speedco, etc). The intent with ABC BMX was to expand his market while limiting any overlap between racing and retro. I think one of the reasons he opened up about his involvement with Cote and his partnership in ABC is because Cote being an unknown from Quebec in the industry with a HQ address in California buying and usurping vintage BMX brands all seemed super sketchy. I think they tried to shore up legitimacy first by sending the THE/Box brand manager to ABC...and then just spilling the beans and revealing Toby's involvement.

Ultimately, they will do whatever brings in the cash...so, if it sells, they will slap box components all over anything racing or retro. However, the current Race Inc. lineup is Chris Hancock (pre-ABC) legacy products...the designs he contracted for when he did the ML-26 run. With the new race frames, and I'm sure completes (initially or eventually), being released this Friday...there will be a big push coming of Box and CBR/Box co-branded components.

I think he's talking about a new bike, not retro. From the article I linked:
"Some Box components, such as brakes and seatposts, are spec'd on ABC's Race Inc. Retro bikes, with more Box parts to be spec'd on Race Inc. BMX racing bikes later this year. ABC's Cook Bros. Racing also will offer co-branded hubs and brakes with Box."
So they're claiming to use the Box hubs on new builds, but don't specifically mention the Race Inc hubs

Box is race stuff... wouldn't be fitted to complete retro bikes.

The bikes, last I knew, where contracted from a Taiwan company. Anything not 'named' would just be the generic sourced factory components. Quality stuff I'm sure...but, generic.
Yes I heard the same that they're made in Taiwan now. Funny how you mention generic. The chainring and spider that was on this complete bike that I purchased was a joke. No name or what so ever on it as to where it was made or nothing,. I figured they were made in China, but that's just an assumption. That's why I am asking in hopes that maybe someone on here has a inside connection or info from Race Inc that knows who made the hubs. I've googeled it with no luck and have asked Race Inc directly on IG, but they seem to not want to answer me for some reason. Could it be that much of an embarrassment for them maybe?

Probably just growing pains. It was essentially a hobby biz for the previous owner...the new owners probably have very few physical people on the job as they don't have much product in the pipeline yet.

They don't have anything to be embarrassed for, I don't think. They are inline with the industry standard. Just nothing exceptional yet...it takes a lot of passion to be an S&M or Supercross or Bassett or etc...or a custom fabricator like Laird or TrueTorch. I don't think passion is ABCs primary motivation.

The Neo-Big Wheel BMX bikes can be specced with a lot of no-name and often janky parts that are not capable of handling BMX style riding. It seems that any spec listed that does not include brand names in their componentry is suspect at best. If they are ghosting you on your inquiry it could be either protecting a good source to keep the biters at bay, or the hubs are low-end. As far as low-end hubs go, it's really difficult to mess up design/fabrication of modern sealed bearing hubs unless they are using inferior aluminum for the shell and/or low grade bearings. While I am a fan of cartridge bearing hubs for MTB purposes because of their durability and lack of maintenance for the conditions they are used in, I like quality vintage cup and cone hubs for BMXey builds because they roll so much better.

If they are ghosting you on your inquiry it could be either protecting a good source to keep the biters at bay
My first thought was similar. If they don't want to answer it might just be to keep segment vampires at bay

Latest posts

Back