Rainier Racer almost, she's on wheels! 9/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rainier Racer stripped, sanded, paint ready 7/4

I had time to empty some paint cans today:
photo29-1.jpg

photo28-1.jpg

I taped off the crown on the forks and gave everything a few coats of flat clear:
photo27-1.jpg

photo30-1.jpg

and got some flat black on the tanks:
photo31-1.jpg

Re: Rainier Racer paint 7/28

Welcome back from the dead! Looking foward to this one.

On break from school for four more weeks. Looking forward to assembling this bike. Here is a pic of the painted frame and tank with graphic mock up:
photo-2.jpg

Looking to get it together this weekend. Stay tuned.

Thanks Peatbog, I take that as a huge compliment coming from the guy who built that incredible bratz bike. Seriously you built one heck of a nice bike. Those knock offs that you machined for the front wheels are killer! I want a set. So many cool bikes in the build off. I feel proud to be a member of this site and I show the site off from my phone whenever anyone will give me the time.
Now for the big decision. I have a brand new white wheel set and I'm trying to decide between white wheels with black tires or paint the white wheels black with white walls. I have a set of bunk wheels that I'll rattle can black for the mock up so I'll be looking for opinions when I post the pics.

Re: Rainier Racer wheel paint and whitewalls 9/9

I took advantage of the last day in what might be an all time record for consecutive dry days ever in Seattle. Paint prep:

photo32-1.jpg

Now black wheels on my boy's custom paint booth:

photo34-1.jpg

I cleaned up a pair of like new dirt walls. Now they're whitewalls again.:

photo33-1.jpg

I also mounted the tank using Chicago sex bolts. I'll post pictures of that soon along with mounted wheels. :D

What the heck are Chicago sex bolts? I am not about to google that and have it in my history :p .

Keep on going, looking forward to another update.

kingfish254 said:
What the heck are Chicago sex bolts? I am not about to google that and have it in my history :p .

Keep on going, looking forward to another update.

I got em at Ace Hardware. Like these, but I used regular heads instead of the one way heads pictured. They give a nice low profile on both sides of the tank.

photo35.jpg

I am in awe at how "natural" the flow of this bike is!!!!
Everything just freaking fits!
Hard call on the light question without mock ups. It's looking incredibly sweet to me.
I wish more of the BO7 bikes would get a jump start like you did. There are some potentially incredible unfinished builds out there.
Keep it coming brother!!!!!
I am so digging this build!!!!

Thanks Kingfish. I know I'm probably posting on a dead thread now, but I really want to finish my bike and I like being apart of this site so I'm pushing on. I agree, there are so many cool bikes in the build off that I want to see finished, but I know how difficult it can be to make time for it. Thanks again for the encouragement and for keeping up with my build. I plan to pick up a seat at my lbs this weekend. I would like to pick up one from someone on RRB, but it has to be just right so I'm going to need to see it in person. I'm second guessing the vinyl decals I designed as well. I think I may want to go with having someone from RRB make me a custom head badge and matching badges for the tank. After I get the seat right I'll mock up a bobbed rear fender. I think the bike needs a bit of cool going on in the back, but we'll see how that plays out. I don't want to start adding things now just because I can. Anything I add now is going to have to work just right with the rest of the bike.

Thaks Peatbog. You may be right about the decals. I'm going to wait until its finished and just tape on some mock ups until I get it right. Got to get a seat going. Hopefully tomorrow. Here's a reminder of how the bike "flowed" (or not) when I got it:

boeingbike.jpg

It feels good to look at the before pic.

My chain came in today. And I mounted the shifter for my newer nexus three speed hub. I need to source a click stick cable and it should be ready for a shakedown.

Attachments

• 110D17DB-DEAF-4E43-A4C6-3D95DA83D8F4.jpeg
    110D17DB-DEAF-4E43-A4C6-3D95DA83D8F4.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 149

Latest posts

Back