Rainy day finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got soaked but it was so worth it! I got this old school Ross road bike. Nothing to really get excited about. kinda cool lugged frame.
Picture017.jpg

Next one is a Trek 7000 Aluminum framed bike with trigger shifters! I love these shifters! Only bad thing is it has one winger to the top tube. :cry: Overall not a bad bike considering I paid $35 for BOTH.
Picture015-1.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Matrix hub? never heard of them?
Picture021.jpg

Here's the winger in the top tube
Picture024.jpg

Then on the way out of the garage I spotted these old 1930 license plates laying in a stack of old plates. Some were older some were newer but these just called out to me. Not too rusty not too clean just the right patina. Paid up at $30 for both.
Picture025.jpg

Voyager Al said:
with the dent, 200 is too much, at least around here. 150,maybe. I sold a sweet 730 for 225, and it was mint, and accessorized.

Cool, I'll make a killing on it either way....If I can bring myself to sell it. It's kinda growing on me. Might list it at $100 after I swap out the shifters and such. :wink: Right now I'm waiting on this rain to stop so I can get a better look at it. If it wasn't aluminum I'd use a buddy of mine's stinger and pull the dent right out.

Well I went out this morning and got the Trek out and fought the chain back on, it was all twisted up around the crank somehow. Had to pull the crank off get the chain out then put it back, it was that bad. But I rode it around the block and it is smooth as butter. Gears are spot on every click of the shifter and it just bumps right into gear, brakes are spot on and stop on a dime, and it is light and fast! Also it is whisper quiet, I rode down the alley behind my house and the dogs didn't even hear it coming. If I was a bit taller I'd keep it. Only think I don't like about it is it doesn't have a kickstand.

Also one question, how old is this bike? I am guessing mid 90's but it has a victory bike shop sticker on it that has the 509 N Washington address on it, they moved from their old building at 107 East Sycamore about 3 years ago. So it was either sold or serviced there in the last 3 years.

Cleaned up the Trek today and it rides great but it's had a hard life, it has some scuffs and that one small dent. Rides smooth and it is FAST!
Picture026.jpg

Also got to looking at it closer and it has Sugino crank
Picture031.jpg

Matrix rear rim
Picture032.jpg

Wolber front rim
Picture033.jpg

And these awesome shimano trigger shifters
Picture022-1.jpg

Picture021-1.jpg

Also the Ross is a little better than I was thinking. Nice aluminum Araya rims.
Picture019-2.jpg

Tracer crank set.
Picture018-1.jpg

and stamped Ross bars
Picture020-1.jpg

Michaels said:
Nice bikes, That Ross should clean up to be a nice bike too. They made some good bikes in the early '80s.

It will make someone a great bike, I'm just selling it as is, If I were to invest in new tires and cables I'd have more in it than it's worth. If it doesn't sell in the next few days I'll clean it up and jack up the price.

I too found this same Ross in a "free" pile along with its mixte sister model. Both had a nice SR stem, Ross bars, Tracer cranks, Shimano RS components. I stripped both bikes, found the men's Ross had a twisted frame, so I cleaned up and lubed all its components and put them in the cleaned parts cabinets. I turned the mixte into a single-speed utilizing the same Tracer cranks and 42t chain ring. Got some single-speed chain ring nuts and bolts, a 16t freewheel. Had to cut the axle down and use a spacing washer so it'd remain quick-release and so the chain line would line up.

Loving this mixte. These Tracer cranks are *sexy*.

I don't even remember what I did with that bike, I know I sold the Trek for more than I paid for both. I think I parted the Ross out but I honestly don't remember.

Latest posts

Back