Raleigh Technium MTB-Sell or Keep?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was moving around my stuff to find my Union Jack, To build it up. Found this raleigh i got either last winter...or something, not sure. But i do know how i got it!

I was riding down the trails with a couple of my friends, when one of them saw someone they knew passing, i was hauling Buttox on my uhaul, when he "Fishtailed" in front of me to turn around. I smacked clear into his rear wheel. All i did when i saw him in front of me is put weight on my bike and held on. I taco'd his wheel...and i did nothing to my bike. So a month later he gave me the bike. I threw the wheels out(actually...i probably have them) and i took the wheels i got from my friend in algonac, slapped them on. Then i took the tires i found from the bike from the bottom of the river and slapped those on too. Then it sat, without its chain because the tires do nothing but rub in the back...theyre waaaay too big. So as i was moving stuff, i uncovered this...i thought, I need to build this...so i did...I started putting the chain on and realized the bike was dusty and grimy, Cleaned it up...and i was on a roll. Ended up with this thing.
IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

And this would be the lack of space i have for these tires...i thought about cutting the tread off a little bit at the end. I then realized i could put on some street tires, since ill be doing more street riding than anything.
IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

And since im so proud of it...
My car in green!
ProjectDynasty.jpg

I think you ought to "Pay It Forward" and send it to me! :D

That bike looks solid.If our into climbing hills[which I only like downhills haha] then I think you have a winner.Dude the color on that green car is super bad![bad being good haha]

Put street tires on it and ride it until you get bored with it then sell it! Did you paint the car yourself? Nice! :mrgreen:

If you've got any need for fairly boring but highly competent school, library, shopping, jra and practical bike, that's a good start. Throw on some smoothish tires (I'm a Kenda K-Rad fan) maybe fenders, maybe a rack or some sort of basket in back.

It would actually be downright excellent for that sort of thing.

See, i dont know if i want to go fenders and racks. Im still looking for some tires that are larger than usual

Just to clear some things up...that is a photoshop of my painted car..

MTBs from that era came stock with 1.95 maybe 2.1 max tires, chainstay room especially was usually tight, fork not so bad but getting like a 2.35 or fatter knobby probably will be tight.

socal_jack said:
MTBs from that era came stock with 1.95 maybe 2.1 max tires, chainstay room especially was usually tight, fork not so bad but getting like a 2.35 or fatter knobby probably will be tight.
Im trying my best to see if i can fit a bigger tire in...all the tires i tried were over 2.0 (2.1,2.2) Im goin to look for a 2.0 tire and see if it works...if not, im going to try for 1.95
bikeriderx said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
Just to clear some things up...that is a photoshop of my painted car..
Good work! :mrgreen:
Thank you sir...I plan on repainting the car soon though!
same color

I think I like this bike.

Heres some more pictures...
gotta get rid of this thing....i really want a new bike, This might do me a little something

just realized theres a few parts worth a little money on this thing....
Arent Shimano Deore XT hubs a bit expensive?
The nice Araya wheels...

I like it, but its gotsta go!

If anyone is interested
im going to try to get $150 out of it...I personally think this is a fair price...what do you guys think?
IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

TheFlyingDingo said:
just realized theres a few parts worth a little money on this thing....
Arent Shimano Deore XT hubs a bit expensive?
The nice Araya wheels...

The wheelset was pretty high end back in the day, so there is some value in the wheels separate from the rest of the bike. I don't see anything else on the bike worth breaking up the bike for.

TheFlyingDingo said:
If anyone is interested
im going to try to get $150 out of it...I personally think this is a fair price...what do you guys think?

I would pull the wheelset off of it and swap in some other 6-7 speed wheels. Then sell the bike on CL for whatever you think it's worth (I would say $120ish) and sell/trade the wheels sans tires to me (I have a few late 80s/ early 90s MTB projects). :)

I see. Just be aware you are leaving a significant amount of money on the table - someone who would buy a bonded aluminum MTB is probably not going to care about high end wheels, and someone who would buy high end wheels is probably not going to care about a bonded aluminum MTB. Just sayin'. :)

Good luck with the sale.

Yeah, what he said. But I love the look. I always go for the sickest looking tires on my BMX bikes. I ride 4x4 BMX. In an era of Microknobbies and Powerblocks I'm on Maxdaddys.

I like my tires just like I like my women. The bigger, fatter and blacker, the better.

Back