Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
always fun to come home to a free bike
I see parts galore...
4cc91310f740d5dd1e453519d53ce85f.jpg

including but not limited to another SA 3 speed hub...

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

Last edited:
That's got the nicer rims. And the tall frame. Reflector too, all original. The chrome on those was nearly as good as the old Schwinns. I'm guessing 1977. The year is on the SA hub shell. If the paint is as good as it looks in the photo, I would polish it up and straighten the chain guard. Then see what it'll bring as a "Vintage English Ladies Bike for taller Women" for $100 or therabouts.

Cleaned up and tuned, that'd probably get $125 to $150 in my local market (Phila)... But, selfishly, i hope you part it so i can buy the chainguard and fenders LOL

My lady has first dibs...
We'll see if she don't want it...
It is a 77 and an all good rider. But the paint is iffy.

I told ya'll, I see parts...

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

You sure do see parts, but remember, everything but the seatpost (1") and the rear hub is weird*. Front hub is undersize, the headset/fork are 26tpi, BB is threaded Raleigh-spec, and definitely don't throw out any hardware, b/c even the bolts for the guard and fender are some proprietary-to-Raleigh variation of Whitworth(less) thread pitch, and hard to come by. The handlebar/stem is a non-standard 15/16" at the clamp, rather than 1" like "normal" bikes. The brakes work only with the special double-ended Raleigh cables, although there are kludges for that (and, really, for most of these challenges.)

HTH. And if you find yourself ready to toss those fenders and chainguard (or even just the bolts for those bits), let me know. Honestly, it'd be cool to keep that bike complete, but a man can hope, right? :D

*If we're being honest, Sturmey-Archers are weird, too, but they're designed to work with most normal bikes, anyway

04d8bcf513b7488d454ec1bb718feafe.jpg

Pulled the guard and fenders...
e07eb7ef35bc16430b8287f60105ae24.jpg

Black fenders, different but the same. I'll need to tweak the brackets but it's a roller again. Guess I'll be sourcing something fatter than that 1 3/8 on the back...I'd like to not have to lace anything though...

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back