Rat"el Snake Rust

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,this is my first bike build off on Rat rodbikes.
The bike i have picked is a 20"Funkster lowrider as i got it ebay for my self to go riding with my daughters to be on there level. :lol: and because of that i will not be cutting or fabrications on the bike.My idea is to make the hole bike rusted with a snake skin seat and grips and new lowrider tires.i want the bike to look like its been pulled out of the desert only with new tires.so this is the frist pic
IMG00085-20090725-1234.jpg

Thay are some crazy tires KOTA but i was thinking of keeping the lowrider theme due to entering the bike into some lowrider shows we have here in Australia so i mite stick with the lowrider tires for no but you never no i mite change my mind thanks anyway for the input KOTA nise call. :D

On those Sweet Skins, Gigs bought a pair of the Flamed ones and they started rotting in less than 6 months. They were ordered directly from the factory and put on the bike immediately. Always aired up and never stored on cement, always hung up. At $40.00 a piece, this sucks! Not sure if it's a fluke or if it happens to all, but I just wanted to give a little caution. I've got to contact the company about this.

I like the stance of the bike. It looks rideable if your not to tall. Rusted will look great! The snake skin seat and grips should look good. I like the knobs, never been fond of those lowrider tires (the ones that actually say lowrider). too commercialized looking.

I got stuck rite in the bike 2day,iv pulled it all apart and got the grinder out and started ripping the crome off every little bite including the nuts and bolts.2morrow ill start hitting it with Hydrochloric Acid i asked the local croming guy about the best way 2 make crome rust quicker he said sanding and grinding then cover it with the acid.Ill give it a good and see how it comes out. :D

may want to try this before using acid(boneshakers secret recipe for rust).....

Boneshaker said:
Okay, finally got around to the patina on the frame and forks.

027-1.jpg

It was a multi-step process. 1. The "secret sauce" It starts the rust on the bare metal, but more importantly it gives the paint an aged, grungy look.

029-1.jpg

2. Salt and vinegar is sprayed on and left to dry, and the frame is rinsed with water. Instant rust!

031.jpg

3. It is all steel wooled, which removes the loose rust. I then used commercially available gun blue to darken the metal.

030-1.jpg

4. I waxed it all, which not only protects the patina and paint, but also brings out the color. And gives a nice sheen!

028.jpg

Ok i started on the frame and the front rim,its taking longer and i thought its been 3 days now and the rust isant comeing through the way i want it 2,so i grinded the frame again i was thinking i wanted an industrial/old rusted look now but to give it that look its goen 2 take time and ill have 2 do it indoors with a gas mask that acid is toxic and then let the parts sit here's a pic
rsr5.jpg
rsr6.jpg

THIS IS MY LOW RAT,I MIXED UP SOME SALT AND VINEGAR IN A SPRAY BOTTLE AND USED THAT

102_2752.jpg

000_3473.jpg

RATAFIED said:

OH, MAN - one of the rattiest rats I´ve ever seen 8) 8) 8) !!! But who rides this . . .?!

regards, Paul

RATAFIED said:
THIS IS MY LOW RAT,I MIXED UP SOME SALT AND VINEGAR IN A SPRAY BOTTLE AND USED THAT

102_2752.jpg

000_3473.jpg
That LOOKS CRAZY RATAFIED!!!!!Thats someting that turns head big time do u ride it much and how is it 2 ride?I want mine 2 be easy 2 ride so i can go riding with my girls.Thanks 4 the pics RATAFIED i shall get some ideas from then.

Back again the frame and the front wheel are done satin clear and all and the rest of the parts got 2 coats 1/2 an hour ago.the seat and grips are getting picked up tomorrow then it will all come together in a day or so.these are the latest pics next ones will be when its finished fingers crossed.
Ratelsnakerust.jpg
rsr1.jpg
rsr3.jpg
rsr4.jpg
rsr2.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wait till you see this bike guys it looks awsome

Latest posts

Back