Rat Klunker - Old tech never dies!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky Cumming

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like most of the down-hillers out there I had all kids of outdated do-dads hanging in the rafters of my garage. For years I had been eyeballing my kid's old Cruiser with the hopes and dreams of building my very own Klunker. Naturally having plenty of inspiration from RRB I wanted to apply the style of a 60's rat to that of a retro Klunker. I started in the fall of last year by striping the old cruiser of all the crappy hardware to get it down to the bare frame. One or two cold winter days in January finally saw the original metallic green paint striped off and the frame donned it's bright shiny birthday suit. Not having started with a 50 year old frame it lacked the patina that graces so many other bikes in this forum. So I gave the new bright and shiny beast a shower in a mixture of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and salt. This was followed by 8 weeks of exposure to the elements of a mild New England Winter, as well as a few more mists of the rust juice. Once the rust was obviously firmly taking hold it was time for a light scuff with some scotch-brite and a few coats of Clear Rust Reformer. Getting towards the end of March now I started collecting a few odds and ends on Ebay to complement the assembly. In April I shipped the frame off to the Pin-striper to add the necessary "Bling". Finally this weekend it's finished. Complete with a early '90s Proflex Girven front end (with a real shock not elastomer bushings), Magura hydraulic rim brakes, Triple Trap pedals, Husquavarna handlebars.

This was my first attempt at a Creative build rather than trying to make something that fits the competitive mold. It was way more fun and rewarding and I'm actually looking forward to starting with something truly Vintage and seeing where that goes. So thanks to RRB for all of the Inspiration and Ideas. See what you guys Started.

Looks way to nice to get dirty! Nice entrance to RRB!

Latest posts

Back