RAT the RAINBOW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I needed to knock the new off of my spokes. They were ucp (zinc plated) so I soaked them over night in white vinegar.
P6050066.JPG

Pretty black
P6060070.JPG

After some cleanup. Old and dull looking.
P6060072.JPG

Got the front laced up.
P6060075.JPG
P6060079.JPG

Kickback hub looking better than it did.
P6060080.JPG

Pretty clean inside actually.
P6060081.JPG

I'll get this one laced up tomorrow.

I got both wheels laced up. I was able to true up the front. Still have to put the rear hub back together.
P6080115.JPG

I ran into a snag with the front hub bearing cones. Pretty rough shape.
P6080112.JPG

This fore brake hub used an axle larger than most 5/16" axles, but not the 3/8'' that was advertised. 11/32" maybe. I was able to mix/match a 3/8" axle from a Schwinn exerciser with some cones from a mystery hub along with the loose ball bearings from the exerciser hub. Both used the same diameter balls. Anyway, the old dust shields will not work with the new bearing cones, so I will need to come up with something to keep the grease in and the dirt out. It also screwed up my plan to mount the cover on the drum brake side.
P6080116.JPG

I plan to grind out the center hole of the cover out to match the OD of the bearing cup and press fit it over.
P6080117.JPG

Ah, there is nothing like a plan that needs to be changed!

I am keen to see how all this works out, I would not mind adding some items from an old moped.

Latest posts

Back